Unity versus Corona

Found the following comparison between Unity and Corona in the Unity forum and I hope anyone who has used Unity will comment on it as Unity seems very interesting. And it would be great if Corona staff can comment on it as well, especially about the last point that our codes need to be sent to Corona for compilation. Personally, I would rather keep my codes to myself. Thanks in advance.

"I've never used Corona, but I suspect you'd get better performance out of an engine optimized for 2D.

But Unity has some significant advantages over Corona... for starters you buy Unity rather then 'rent' it, no annual fee required. Second, it supports multiple platforms, including Macs, PCs and Consoles (not just iOS and Android). Finally, you do the Xcode build on your own machine... rather than submit your project to Corona for compilation."

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/74636-Honest-advice-sought-Unity-or-Corona

So you want to compare apples and oranges. These tools are so different, it wouldn't be fair for anyone. And two much fanboyizm would be included too. For any argument pro unity i could bring one up for corona. And btw, a good coder uses the tool which fits the job the best. And that can change from project to project.

Both development tools are awesome, and I think the choice comes down to 2D vs. 3D.

Of course they would be very different , otherwise they would be clones. Since both tools offer the ability to design mobile apps across different platforms I would not call one orange and the other apple. What is wrong with diligently researching available tools before committing to one? And what is fanboyizm?

Unity3D is great for 3D --- If you want to create 3D games then by all means Unity is the way to go. We are mainly doing 2D. And Unity is geared mostly towards studio with significant budgets. It takes a sizable team to be able to put together immersive 3D games. From 3D artists, to shaders, to animators, it is nothing to be taken lightly. etc.

Corona is a 2D engine, much simpler. And with the help of moderate budges you can create some impressive games like Float, Garden of Orbs, Robot99 etc, not needing a full team of artist, renderers, etc.

As for our pricing model vs Unity's.. well... that's our model, thats their model. ;-) same goes for sending code to our servers.... That's our business model.. One of the reasons we can do daily builds is due to that model.

Hope this helps.

C.

Thanks Carlos.

As a special note from an ex-Unity user: don't be fooled by the catchy Unity GUI. The whole setup to make a 2D game in Unity requires much more technical sophistication in Unity compared to what you need with Corona. Go with Unity only if you can't accomplish what you need for your game with Corona (eg 3D, shaders, bones etc).

Cost-wise, I found Unity to be a no-no for the indie developers. From the other hand, Corona is targeting indies and small companies. Furthermore, with Corona you can easily develop non-game apps too.

To summarize it:

Doodle Jump, Words with Friends --> Corona (excells in productivity)
Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja --> Cocos2D (excells in performance / GL effects but demands expertise)
Zombieville USA, Skee-Ball --> Unity3D (adds 3D flexibility but brings burden and costs)

views:1966 update:2011/10/10 15:46:04
corona forums © 2003-2011