Surprize Spike in New Users...

Hey guys,
Thought Id share a recent experience releasing our game.

We released our first Corona ios game about a week ago and watched our stats behave as expected. A spike on day 1-2 that trailed off pretty regularly throughout the week.

We are saving our next big marketing push for when we release our first update, so we were quite surprised to see a (relatively) HUGE spike in our new users yesterday.

Here's a snapshot of our "NEW USERS" from Flurry analytics.
http://potsmash.minimega.com.au/img/week1Spike.png
That little bump on the left was our launch date ;) ....

Excited and Confused we searched for the culprit, hoping maybe for a big blog mention. As it turns out however, the spike in activity was almost entirely from jail broken phones. (see Flurry under Technical->Jailbroken)

A little disappointed at first, we now look at it as a pretty good thing for us. As an indie developer, getting a big chunk of users (albeit cheapskates) makes us feel pretty good inside. Also these users are still posting their scores to facebook and sharing the game with their regular purchasing buddies. (we are seeing a small organic increase in legit sales)

Once this current spike dies off (and after our first update) we will probably do a promo sale (go free for 1-2 days) and then release our Lite version.

$0.63 per unit is nice but ultimately we're happy to have heaps of eyes and fingers on our first game. :)

Punya Huxter,
MiniMega

Honestly,

If someone does jailbreak and steal my app, that's flattering. The second point about funds, after developers get $0.99 per app minus the 30% cut that apple keep and then when they pay you, the bank cuts, taxes, etc I feel it is better to giveaway the app for FREE.

Just my thoughts,

cheers,

?:)

views:1494 update:2011/10/7 11:17:15
corona forums © 2003-2011