BETA Testing & Hardware Devices: Why doesn't Apple support developers better?

OK, we're at the point where we are looking at getting some QA going and we have 5 devices in our arsenal - but I need to locate some more. Especially since we're trying to release on Android and iOS. I have iOS pretty well covered, but can always use some additional units.

So I called Apple today and asked, "Does Apple provide a program where Developers can buy hardware at a discounted price?" Thinking of course that Apple most likely has some program like this... I'm told, "Yes!" and I feel pleased for asking... but then I am transferred to Apple Dev Support and they tell me, "Actually, it's No. We used to do something like that, but not anymore." I mentioned to them that some feedback from this developer is that the decision by Apple not to support Developers in this manner, is very disappointing.

My question for the SDK Forums here then: Do people have a solution to this problem? I'm canvasing Craigslist to see if I can find some used hardware for cheaper prices than buying some stuff new. Now that's a gamble because you never know if that hardware is functioning correctly... so does anyone else have any suggestions? Apple sells an iPod Touch for $224 - is there some place that we can get new hardware CHEAPER? What about Android devices; what's the "basement bargain" deal that you want to tell me about? ;-) And hardware configurations are important; my son's iPhone 3GS definitely performs differently than our iPhone 4G and iPod Touch (which is a 4 essentially). (We have an iPad and iPad2.) I'm completely naive with the Android platform... but I found a Droid for a good price (compared to buying at Best Buy).

Thanks so much... I can't imagine my team is the only one wrestling with this issue so any helpful insight or hot "deals" out there - I'm all ears!

SOLUTION: I just found a wonderful solution to this problem and I want to share it with you all. I had my iPhone3G that I dropped and I attempted to replace the glass and digitizer myself; I flexed and broke my LCD in the process. I was very careful too. I found a company up in Fort Collins, Colorado called: CPR (Cell Phone Repair). The gentleman that helped me was Brian and I can tell you that it was an excellent experience! Not only did he perform the work at quite a substantial discount compared to Apple Repair, but I also purchased a used phone for my Android testing as well. I know the Fort Collins, Colorado store is excellent and I bet the other franchise stores are good too. http://cpr-nco.com/
Or call Brian at 970.225.9277

For devices that run on Verizon or other CDMA carriers you can save a ton if you buy units with bad (banned is more accurate) ESNs. Since the ESN is banned no one can use it as a phone, and so you can snag them super cheap most of the time.

I feel your pain.

Tigerdirect.com sells refurbished stuff. See this link for example.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=894423&CatId=6957

You can occasionally catch a sale at places like OfficeMAx and Staples. For example, OfficeMax has a coupon or $50 off any tablet next week (Aug. 28 to Sept. 3).

http://images.ed4.net/images/htdocs/officemax/Images/2011_wk36/preprint2/OfficeMaxInStoreCoupons.pdf?EDID=IQA6K5-3VE2F-D9PSK-PPI56Y-Y5G2C-v1&cm_mmc=Email-_-preprint-_-wk36-_-inStoreCoupon

Just be glad you aren't in Australia ;) We pay insane amounts for our tech here, and we don't even have access to most of the awesome US units. (We can't get Droids. Or Sidekicks, which bums me out as I've wanted one for about 8 years, haha.)

Refurb seems to be the way to go - although that bad ESN thing does sound tempting ;)

The flip side Peach is that we don't have giant mice hopping around in the US. So I guess the grass is always greener... ;-)

.... Wait, you WANT giant mice? :P

views:2713 update:2011/10/4 8:06:35
corona forums © 2003-2011