Custom fonts have vertical offset on iPad vs simulator

I found a TrueType font I was able to get to work on both the simulator and on my iPad. But the vertical position of the lettering (on a button) is off by several pixels. I didn't see this problem with the built-in fonts. It's frustrating to have to do multiple builds/installs of an app onto my iPad to get the adjustment correct.

Fyi, the font I was working with is called GrilledCheeseBTN.ttf

A side question... is it only TrueType fonts that can be used as custom fonts? If so, I didn't see any mention of that.

I actually tried it with some TT fonts (older ones? without the .ttf extension) and couldn't get them to show up on the device.

It's not just custom fonts; try ArialRoundedMTBold. This frustrating bug has been around a while because it's not a show-stopper:
http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2010/06/15/huge-problem-font-positioning-between-simulator-and-device

Thanks! I figured I couldn't have been the first one to find this.

Carlos, can this be moved up on the bug list? Not a deal killer, but think of all the combined hours your subscribers are spending adjusting all their fonts' positions via trial and error in successive builds!! Gotta be way more than how much time it would be to fix this.

A year in and not fixed? I'm running into similar problems. Anyone have a good way of calculating how much offset fonts on device vs simulator?

views:2711 update:2012/2/13 9:11:28
corona forums © 2003-2011