Updating an app question

let say i have an app where a you write stuff in to... Basically like a notepad app.... When i update it will all of the stuff i wrote in it go away, or will it stay?

Thanks!

It will all disappear, but you could use something like the Ice library to store what you want. It enables you to store images, text, scores...etc. When you open reopen it, it will stay the same.

Link to ice: http://developer.anscamobile.com/code/ice

Hope this helps!

- Michael

When i use ice library would it solve my problems with updating the app?

Thanks for the help!

Yes. It's like saving your files.

Yes. Just like "WauloK" stated. It saves your files. So anything you need to save, that's what it does.

AFAIK, an update will replace the app, not delete the data from the Documents Directory, so whatever data you might have created will not go away, if it would, then using ice would not help either as that file will also get deleted.

The only way (that I know of) to store data that won't go away with an update (since like JayantV pointed out, an update replaces the old app with the new version so any data saved with it is replaced also) would be to store your data somewhere off of the device and then retrieving it from there when you start the app. This way an update wont effect the data files stored externally.

You can use something like

FTP Helper: http://developer.anscamobile.com/code/ftp-helper

to upload/download your data files to a server.

Thanks for all of the help!

Im sorry for all of the questions, Im new at Lua.

JayantV, and Ertzel: What this server that you are explaining is it saved locally? From what JayantV is saying that they are saved in the documents director, therefor i believe that would be locally. Ertzel, when you say the data on the server would it be in the documents directory like JayantV said, or on a online server?

Jayant is correct, updating an app will not delete the Documents directory so you will be fine to use Ice. That being said I am working on Ice 2.0 that will have uploading and downloading of the Ice files for a simple cloud syncing system.

Oh yes, sorry I read that wrong. What I suggested would be storing the data online and not locally on the device. JayantV had the right idea lol.

views:2651 update:2012/2/13 9:11:28
corona forums © 2003-2011