RIM is Giving Free Playbooks for Submitting ANDROID apps!

Hey everyone, I found this article on Gizmodo today, and thought you guys might like it! :)

http://gizmodo.com/5881914/free-playbooks-for-android-app-developers

RIM has an online tool that will determine if your .apk is compatible with BB App World. I ran the tool, and got these 2 errors:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3371101/FreePlaybookErrors.tiff

I was wondering if there would be any way to remove these 2 errors? We can all get free Playbooks then!

I was going to give this a try today as well. Just out of curiosity what did you build for? If you did Android maybe try Kindle fire or Nook, just a thought.

I would think the Maps thing could be fixed by unpacking and editing the .apk file once built. I am not sure about the JavaToNativeShim.

I've tried with "android", "kindle fire" and "nook" and I keep getting the same "JavaToNaiveShim" error.
Maybe a fix? we wan't playbooks!!! :D

Frankly, the fix lies at the Blackberry end.

If Corona apps work on 'real' Android machines, then RIM need to add the necessary to allow their devices to run apps that already run on Kindle, ARM7 etc.
Its like trying to make a Mac compatible computer and complaining about Safari doing things wrong.

If they want to claim android app compatibility, theres enough apps out there which won't run to require RIM to find a cure/add the right libs.

The first error you are getting is because its a feature that Android's allow, but the Playbook doesn't. That has nothing to do with Corona, or the Android version of it. It's just something not supported on the Playbook.

The second error though, is also the one I get if i try to do this with any Corona made android apps I have. It seems just by the error text that the playbook does not support one of the native features the android does that I guess is in most/all apps created by Corona.

Same issue here, the rejection I got was

Impact Type Reason
5 uses-access-native com.ansca.corona.JavaToNativeShim

I think Corona would need to add a build target for playbook like they did with Fire & Nook.

views:1975 update:2012/2/9 11:37:26
corona forums © 2003-2011