Destroying multiple objects simultaneously with each turning into explosion object leaving each time to animate

I have an error in my game which I have spent countless hours trying to resolve with no success. When an enemy is destroyed I spawn an explosion object on it's position, an animated object, which I leave for 100ms to animate before I remove the explosion object. The problem is the following: If I have 2 enemies being destroyed simultaneously (or close to), which is a possibility in my game, I get an index global explosion < a nil value > error. So basically I can't have 2 or more explosion objects on screen at once, I have to wait between them until each finishes.

My current way to resolve this issue is that when an enemy explosion object is created, I continously, in an enter frame, check if an explosion object exists, and when it does I set a flag to true else set it to false. I then use this flag to run a while loop in the enemy explosion function so that it does nothing when the flag is true and then when it is false I create the next explosion and so on.

Here is my function activated on enterFrame:

local function movePlayer(event)
        plane:setLinearVelocity(hspeed,0);                                              

if(plane.x > 423) then
                plane.x = 422;
                hspeed = 0;
        end
        if(plane.x < 60) then
                plane.x = 61;
                hspeed = 0;
        end

if(explosion) then
                inExplode = true;
        else
                inExplode = false;
        end

end

You may want to give them unique names; create a table -

explosion = {}

then spawn your explosion sprites like so;

explosion[#explosion] = sprite.newSprite( spriteSetExplosion )

Let me know how that goes for you.

On a related note - you only need to set up the sprite sheet, and require "sprite" once - so you can move that out of the function.

Peach :)

Hi Peach,

Thanks for telling me that I am able to move it out of the function, I want to make my games as efficient as possible.

Your table idea is great, I have now implemented it into the game as you suggested. I just used a for loop to iterate through the table in the explody() function to remove each explosion object.

explody = function()
                print( "in explody" );

for i in pairs (explosion) do
                        explosion[i]:removeSelf();
                        explosion[i] = nil;
                end

Yay! Well done :)

I'm sorry, I should have considered the +1 situation - nicely done!

Peach :)

views:1992 update:2012/2/8 8:46:10
corona forums © 2003-2011