Is corona really for me?

I've heard about corona SDK, and have the android sdk installed on my pc. Have programmed simple programs in python and SDL but not really complicated ones.

The thing is, 150 dollars a year for android or ios sounds like quite a bit of money, and I want to make a stable game without my head melting in complex code. I really want to make a marketable game. Should I still try it out the non commercial version or do you think I am barking up the wrong tree?

Advice.

I suggest your to use the trial version (it is free), get familiar with that, then decide if it is worthy or not for you.

Honestly, I couldn't find anything easier to use than Corona. You may check also giderosmobile.com (cheaper) or getmoai.com (free), however they are not easier neither have all APIs already available in Corona.

My two cents...

Of course you should try it since the trial is free. No harm-no foul.

I will say this. I've put out one game and a lite version and an app I didn't expect to make anything on since it was a microscopic market. At this point, I've barely paid for my Apple yearly fee and I've not come close to covering my Corona SDK costs. I don't think my first game was bad, but it was a first game and you learn a lot from it. My marketing sucks and I pay a price for it. But many studios use Corona SDK and it can produce very professional products. I'm a very experienced programmer and I love programming with Corona. I just wish I had better access to art and more time to work on games.

I'm trying to justify the upgrade to Pro from iOS Indie but I don't know that Android sales are going to be any better than iOS sales, though the Kindle Fire/Amazon market sounds like it might be a bit worth while.

Give it a spin and see what you can do?

FWIW, the game I'm hoping to submit tonight, I started on November 2, a mere two weeks ago, and if I wasn't waiting on some art work, I'm one bug from submitting it.

views:1394 update:2011/11/17 9:28:17
corona forums © 2003-2011