How to structure large maps?

So here's a newbie game developer question. Lets say I'm extending the map used in tutorial where each screen holds 10x15 tiles. Lets say I want the character to be able to run through 10 screens worth of platform stuff.

Should I define my map as 10x150 size and build it all into a single file and then use the Lime map:move(xDelta, yDelta) funtion?

or should I define 10 pieces of 10x15 maps?

which one is better for performance & stability? I like the first option but I want to know what my limits are.

Thanks much for your guidance.

Good question, and in the perfect world the best answer is "either" but due to the performance issues on hardware both of these will cause problems currently just because they are large maps. If you are just working on the simulator now then you can do either and your next decision needs to be about how you wish your game to be structured.

If you want a map that is just one long thing then yes go for having it all in one map file and then just use the map:move and related functions however if you wish to make a map that has reusable chunks that work more like building blocks then you will want to split the map up into sections and different map files and then load them accordingly.

For simplicities sake having them all in one map file and then moving the map is a much easier way of doing things.

I'm planning on adding a feature that will allow you to load up separate map files and sort of join them together so that when you move one they all move in unison, but that may not be for a while yet.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with option 1 for this first game and see how it works. If the library manages memory issues cleverly in the background that would be super.

Yea I like giving options so I don't want to force people to use separate map files but would like to accommodate their needs.

views:1288 update:2011/10/13 16:39:51
corona forums © 2003-2011