Switching From GameSalad

Hi all,

I was thinking about switching from GameSalad because I want to actually learn some real programming skills, but I wanted to make sure my game worked. I am trying to replicate the beginning stages of my game from GameSalad, and I was wondering whether anybody here could be of help. I can post the gameproj file if necessary, or upload to GS Arcade.

P.S. I have programmed in Visual Basic and I am about to start Grade 11 math. So I could probably understand bits and pieces of what you're saying, but not everything.

the coding is really easy once you get into it -- im only 15 and i've already got an app on the app store.

to be honest with you, you could probably do what you did it gamesalad in corona and improve the performance of your game at the same time

max

Welcome!

There are a lot of ex GS users here, including myself, who have easily picked up Corona without any prior coding experience. (I barely understood the most basic of HTML, heh.)

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to do it but if you need some help or guidance please do share some information about your app with us and we can point you in the right direction.

Also, if you're looking for some really gentle tutorials to get you into things, Corona For Newbies (parts 1 - 4) are available on my website Techority and are GREAT for newbies :)

Peach

welcome

.c

welcome im also an exGS user and exVB user once you get a few basics down the rest starts coming easier and if you do run into a problem just ask im sure someone here could help

great link

learningcorona.com

;-)

.c

Welcome aboard!

I recommend you look over the sample code included with the Corona SDK. It's a great starting place.

Thank you all for replying!

@bertybottom: That's pretty cool, you're only 2 years older than me. BTW, what is the name of your app?

@peach Your tutorials really helped me, and I found them off of the website Carlos gave!

I have a few questions before I get my hands dirty…

1) Is there some sort of document that relates GS commands to Corona API's? (eg. a rule in GS is a function in Corona, or MoveTo in GS is like the transition command in Corona?) More specifically, how to implement slightly different commands like change attribute and constrain attribute.

2) Is there a way to set (0,0) as the bottom left corner as opposed to the top left (you'll see why in my next question)

3) Hopefully one of you has the ability to use GameSalad and help me out here. I figured out how to spawn multiple dots automatically, but I mainly need help with the rules under the dots section (trajectory related, and I think the formula only works when the equation equals 0, and I want the ninja to start bottom left. Then again, if math experts could help me rework the formula…)

Download for my GS project file: http://www.mediafire.com/?xnv6hfy1g1vku0h

If you guys are able to help me out, I am so going to buy a membership here!!!

create a new.displayGroup and insert all images in it then scale the displaygroup y by -1
maybe haven't tried it

Sorry if I sound like an extreme idiot, but by the looks of it, doesn't that increase the size of the images?

no by scaling by a -1 number it flips it upside down if you scale by a larger -number it increases in size and upside down

also thinking in terms of GS is ok to get you started but as soon as you get a grip on using lua you'll forget all about GS

No… I don't think the scale thing worked, unless I am doing it totally wrong :P

my app is called Blanked and it's been on the store for just over two weeks.

views:1939 update:2011/10/11 15:24:38
corona forums © 2003-2011