Native Extensions - A HUGE Deal...

So Adobe announced today that their AIR 3 Release Candidate is available that can build iOS and Android apps from flash and has support for Native Extensions. This to me is a HUGE deal and I ask my self, "Self - Why hasn't Corona done this yet?". You guys could even heavily monetize it. Hell, I'd pay extra if I could create a native extension to do in-app purchasing for Android without waiting on the development life-cycle of Corona.

I'm not trying to hate, I love Corona! I'm just trying to open the flood gates of communication.

+1 for moving this to the front of the 'Roadmap'. :)

Thanks
ML

(link to Adobe AIR 3 Release Candidate)

Hi.

I understand this is important but there are a few long standing features/fixes that need to take priority before that can happen.

Feel free to bump this up though :)

@Matthew,
I share the same excitement and questions that you have, however since OZApps started a series of interviews with Carlos, we have been asking him the difficult questions and trying to get an insight on what and how of COronaSDK,

1. If you want to hear about that straight from Carlos, you can
here (part #1)
and
here (part #2)

There are more coming

in short, to answer from what I understand, CoronaSDK can jump at all the new stuff, iOS5, All native API's etc

However, the next few weeks, Ansca is dedicated to clearing the Bug list, which means there should be no bugs in the open bug list, then they would attempt newer functionalities.

Secondly about Native extensions, the most common example that is seen on these boards,

The Director Class by Richardo is *the* best thing available for developers but in the same way it is the *worst* things available for Ansca as the forums have more questions about Director than CoronaSDK. So imagine if native extensions were created and the forums would be full of support questions about them than the framework, it would only undermine the suitability of CoronaSDK.

As a developer, I am *not* very impressed with that answer, but understand the same from a Business point of view.

cheers,

?:)

Well, for a while now i have asked about native extension possibility and aware of Adobe Air Native Extension months before it is released. I always ask whether native code could be integrated with Corona in near future... look at my past thread http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2011/07/19/game-publisher-require-native-code-integration

I though it would take next year for Adobe to implement it, i was wrong though, Adobe implement it quite fast, and it is available now.

Luckily, Corona's performance still outmatch AIR for now. For flash to perform flawlessly, there are many rules to be taken in the past. However Molehill is coming, and graphics rendering should not be a bottleneck for flash if it works. For binary size junkie, Corona also generate slimmer binary for now (altough rather fat, see my thread http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2011/09/07/avoiding-bloated-binary-choose-included-library-when-compiling)

We are flash devs long before coming to Corona, so we know the good and bad side of both flash and Corona. At 2010 Adobe cant match Corona in Mobile devs so we go to Corona. I personally will wait for a while though, and test apps created with adobe AIR 3 to see if AIR 3 really works

Carlos replied my tweet recently about AIR 3, "AIR is still full of AIR... of course you know we will outwit them... ;-) patience..."

We believe in Ansca to outsmart Adobe :)

@jayantv
I think given enough power, Corona devs will be allowed to unleash their creativity even more ;)

views:1980 update:2011/9/26 8:07:09
corona forums © 2003-2011