minimum iOS version of 4.3 to work?

Hi, I did a build on a simple project containing just one spritesheet I created using Spriteloq. However, when I tried running that build on my iPhone 3rd generation, I got an error message that said "Can't install application. The info.plist for application at... specifies a minimum OS version of 4.3, which is too high to be installed on your device." So my question to you is, does Spriteloq require devices to have a minimum version of iOS 4.3 in order for our apps to run?

Yes, you need a minimum of iOS 4.3 on your devices when you use the latest builds.
If you need to support devices with iOS versions < 4.3 then you can use builds 706 or earlier. However if you do that you can't use any of the new functionality that has been introduced since build 707.

As a side-note it isn't Spriteloq that sets the OS requirements, it's Corona.

Hope this helps...

@ingemar Thanks for clarifying the situation.

@davidjames Here's the link to the relevant info:

http://developer.anscamobile.com/release/2011/707

"iOS: Increased iOS minimum OS version to 4.3. (Dropping support for older iOS versions.)"

Thanks, but I'm a little confused about something. On the Spriteloq website, they advertise that "Spriteloq now exports Spritesheets at Multiple Scales". I understood this to mean that we could export our spritesheets to work both at standard resolution (for iPhone 3rd generation) and double-resolution “Retina Display” (for iPhone 4). But seeing that Corona only supports iPhone 4 and above now, does this mean that we no longer have to worry about multiple scales? So in other words, why use the scaling function in Spriteloq? Shouldn't we just create all our spritesheets at high resolution now?

Just stick with build 705 (at least that's why I'm using for my app). The multiple scale spritesheets work awesome and if you don't need the new features of the newer builds, don't use them.

You can still build to older devices.

iPhone 3GS and iPad (1 & 2) continue to run the latest iOS versions. Neither of these devices have retina displays.

I don't have an iphone 3gs, but are you saying you can't upgrade the os on it to 4.3? (update: check ewing's) Also, Spritesheet scales can be used to tailor the graphics for different resolutions on Android devices. Anywhere you would use dynamic content scaling, you can use dynamic spritesheets.

One main reason to use Spritesheet scales is texture memory. If you're designing your content at iphone 4 res, and try to run that content on devices with less memory you're probably going to run into an out of memory problem.

With spritesheet scales the app can load in the lower res spritesheets designed for lower res devices, thus saving memory.

Also, if you don't use spritesheet scales, you'll have to manually adjust the scaling of your objects. I won't go over the details, but basically if you design at high res, and test on lower res you find the sprites are oversized but positioned properly. Spriteloq and it's API manages those issues for you.

But you don't have to take my word for it. :)

@davidJames
Third generation devices can still be upgraded to the latest iOS versions. This means that there are a number of iPhones/iPod Touches out there that have low-res screens running iOS 4.3-5.0.

Also as mentioned above, you have a slew of Android devices out there with various screen sizes where dynamic scaling is useful.

views:1896 update:2012/1/10 9:16:25
corona forums © 2003-2011