What is the best(fastest, lightest) way to implement audio for Android?

We are in the process of adjusting our game for Android and while most things were not a problem, audio is a big issue here.

I was using the ALMixer library with AAC encoded for the iOS devices which works perfectly.

So on android i have tried doing the same with MP3 and Ogg and they are laggy as hell and they also make the game load very slowly everytime i change the background music which are medium to large sized files (relatively, the largest is around 1mb).

I don't feel like trying wav because those files are huge and i have a lot of music files and my game would grow far too much.

Right now i'm even trying to implement the old media library for sound handling on android. I don't like it and so far, it seems like everytime it loads it slows everything else down.

So what do you suggest? What's the best way possible to do this?

Don't use MP3, use OGG. Don't use 44KHz audio, drop it down to 22KHz. Try Mono instead of stereo.

If you stream you may notice performance issues, but the trade-off with preloading is that it will increase your load times (vs. streaming).

I was able to take 72MB of WAV files and use the above to get them down to 3.2MB total of OGG files.

Hi, i'm using audacity to convert all wav and mp3 files to ogg, which is great, but i see in export options a format (on 1.3 version) called "GSM 6.1 WAV for mobile devices" and mades the best compression (1.5 mp3 44Khz mono converted to 200 Kb wav, ogg 310kb) . This works for corona?

views:1454 update:2012/1/3 13:02:13
corona forums © 2003-2011