Jagged edges when transforming images

I'm finding that when I scale and rotate images down to half their size and less they start to appear quite jagged (simulator and on iPhone 3gs).
When close to their original size however (even if rotated) they appear nice.

The avatar in the bottom left of the first screenshot demonstrates this best:

And in this screenshot we can see the character in full size looking good:

You can see the avatar in the second screenshot looks fine, the imagery there is close to the original size. The reason I can't pre-render this animation / imagery is because of the way it is generated. Each element in the character is a separate image and the characters movements are animated programatically. This allows the helmet and weapons to be swapped out and replaced whilst maintaining the smallest filesize possible.

Is there a way to improve the rendering / anti-aliasing quality with Corona to fix this. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong. One solution I can see would be to maintain two copies of my character assets, one small version for the avatar in the corner. And one larger version for the attacking animations. Transitioning between these would be complicated and I'd rather avoid it. Plus it would also impact greatly on filesize.

Any other solutions?

views:1425 update:2012/1/3 13:02:13
corona forums © 2003-2011