Legality of a developer name i want to choose

Hello, I would love to name my company after one of my favorite songs, and it would actually fit really well with games and such. I'm just not sure if they have a copyright on the name or if that even matters since they are in very different categories. What do you think?

I'm not a lawyer, but from everything I've read, song, book, movie titles can NOT be copyrighted.

In some cases a title may have trademark protection, but that's not all that common. To check that you can use the Search Marks option here:
http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

Jay

Hmm, interesting. Well, i searched the name I want and there is already a company named what I want. Thing is, i searched the name and there is a post about the company wanting to hire another person. they say they have made a few games for iphone, but I can't find them on the store, nor their company name. I really really want the name. is there nothing i can do? think i should just leave it alone and find something else?

In a case like that, you better aska lawyer. If the other company was a dry cleaner I'd say go for it, no problem. But since they're already doing iphone apps and that's what you'll be doing (I assume), who knows?

Either fork over some cash for a legal opinion or ditch it and come up with something else. :)

Jay

Thanks for your response. I love the community here at ansca. Pretty much always helpful and not rude, as some other forums are.

Matt

Oh c'mon. You're not even gonna tell us what the name is? :-)

My guess : "My heart will go on" by celine dion?

anyone else guess?

Wow Carlos! Spot on!

Haha no, it was actually Digital Bath...wanted to be Digital Bath Games, or something. But oh well. I'm open to suggestions!

******great....now i want to be "my heart will go on studios"******

how about a "Bit Shower" it is still digital and a bath... ;)

cheers,

?:)

rage, use Carlos' suggestion, it's golden.

.... Now I have that blasted song stuck in my head.

"Bit Shower" ... much much better!

+1 for "Bit Shower" :)

Analog sink...

Digital Underground

...take it old school!

Lol @ Analog Sink

That's surprisingly memorable :)

"Am all out of Love" by Air Supply
"Mr Robato" by Styx
"Rio" by Duran Duran
"Ebony and Ivory" by PmC and MJ
"Crazy Train" by Ozzie Osborne
"Achey breaky Heart" By Billy Ray Cirrus

great names for companies...

.c

Angry Inch!

....Or you could go with this classic.

PS - Carlos, why didn't you call Ansca "Crazy Train"? It would have suited. ;)

views:2169 update:2011/9/20 9:25:42
corona forums © 2003-2011