Change Corona SDK windows start menu folder

Hi,

I'd like to change the place of the corona SDK folder in the windows start menu, but if i change it and start the simulator the installing dialog is opened again, which then creates the folder again in the same place.

Would it be possible to change this behaviour that one can move the folder to the place I want?

Thanks

I will bring this up in our next meeting.

Peach :)

Hello Christian,

When you move the Corona SDK folder in the start menu, then the next time you run a Corona application, Windows will notice that files are "missing" (in this case, the Start menu shortcuts) and it will run a "repair". This is a feature of standard Microsoft installers (*.msi files) in case files go missing for whatever reason... particularly application dependencies such as DLLs. It's a safety mechanism.

I can add this feature request to our wish-list, but it'll be low priority compared to all other feature requests.

If your are using Windows 7 or Vista, then as an alternative you can just type in "Corona Simulator" on the Start Menu and click Enter. That's usually faster than hunting down a shortcut on the Start menu on a machine that has lots of applications installed.

Hi, thanks for answer!

Ok, but I've never seen this by another program and I do have many programs installed. So it's a bit of an unusual behaviour.

Yes, I know the search box and I almost exclusively use it, but I do like to have my start menu properly organized (which is in reality a really hard thing to do ^^). From time to time I forget the name of a program, which I do not use that often and then it comes in very handy if there is some kind of order in the start menu. ;)

Hi Christian,

We use Visual Studio's "Setup Project" to create the msi file, which doesn't have a whole lot of options. Right now we're using its default behavior for installing shortcuts and files. If I can find a quick solution to work-around the repair options for the shortcuts, then I'll see if I can throw it in, but so far I haven't seen an obvious solution. But I know what you mean... I used to do the same on Windows XP and most programs wouldn't invoke a repair after moving their shortcuts.

I did make sure to give the Corona shortcuts in the Start Menu unique names such as "Corona Simulator" and "Corona Debugger" so that it would be easy to type them into the Start Menu search field. This way it avoids name collisions.

That would be very kind!

Another option would also be that one can specify where to put the start menu entry. This is often the way other installers do it.

Thanks

PS: You guys are really great! Always Staff members around with good answers. :)

views:1359 update:2011/12/1 20:56:45
corona forums © 2003-2011