Getting started with Android

I'm currently an iOS Indie developer and I have quite a few people pressuring me to build for Android as well.

There is a huge cost to entering the Android market and I've heard horror stories about actual sales, so I'm concerned about not recovering my costs.

Besides having to spend money to get a Pro license of Corona SDK, I have to get some Android device to test on.

So I have intel that a Toshiba 10 inch tablet will be on sale Friday for $199, the same price as a 7" Kindle Fire. It seems to me a tablet is the best way to get into Android since I don't want to have to get an Android based phone and deal with that bill.

Should I get a full Android tablet if I can score one for $199 or get the Kindle Fire with its limitations, but perhaps have a better chance to sell through the Amazon store.

I have no knowledge about the various android market places. I know Google has one. Amazon has one that sells generic Android apps I think.

What would you do?

Thanks
Rob

I'm also struggling with the same question. I have an app on iPhone that's doing quite well and all I need to launch it on Android is to spend more very-hard-earned money (licenses, test device(s)).

The recent articles about 1.3% of apps are paid on Android (total of 90m) vs 13.5% paid (total 2.6bn) on iOS don't reassure either. For example, see http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2011/nov/22/android-paid-apps-revenues

It would be interesting to hear from people who've tried both markets!

views:1640 update:2011/11/26 9:01:35
corona forums © 2003-2011