Help!!! Corona SDK Not Working On Windows XP???

I don't know what's going on...

Downloaded SDK. I'm All excited, and when i got to the first tutorial.

Hello World

I typed the code on notepad like they asked. Saved it as main.lua. (they asked main.lua to be file name for some reason) so it did it.

Went to run it ( "open" it as instructed) and it wouldn't show up in the dialog box?

What gives???

I changed the file extension it to "All Files" and it shows up. So i try to run what showed up and it didn't work???

Can .lua "file extension" work on Windows XP???

or is there a different file extension for Windows XP for the corona sdk program???

Or is it something different, A process i'm messing up or don't understand?

Can anyone aide a noob???

Thanks...

Hey there,

I don't currently use a Windows XP machine, however I'm wondering if it is possible you did what I have occasionally done on my Mac and tried to open the file in the console/terminal window rather than in Corona itself. Is that a possibility?

What happens if you try to open some of the sample code? (You can find samples in the CoronaSDK folder you downloaded.)

Peach :)

Thank You for Helping a Noob for starters :)

Ok your 2nd question first...

I did open some sample code Hello World ect. that came with the download and it worked... "???"

but the code i was instructed to write on windows notepad and save in a folder on my desktop didn't work.

Does windows xp support .lua files? because the sample files that came with the program that work "???" it has a icon that suggest it shouldn't work.

I don't know how i can describe it.

It's that icon that looks like a sheet of paper with some colored shapes on it.

That comes up when something isn't compatible with your computer or need an update ect...

Response to your first question...

I think i opened it up with corona. I went to file on that sample phone and clicked open, tried to open the file and it wouldn't open.

So... i don't know

hope i was clear with my answers.

so i can get some help :/

.lua is fine in Windows - but perhaps we need to get you using a proper editor.

I'm not sure of the "best" Windows editor however I know others who use this; http://luaedit.luaforge.net/history.html

I believe when you see that ??? icon it is because there is not a program on your computer that recognizes the file type. (Corona runs the files but it isn't an editor, obviously.)

Can you check out the editor above and let me know how you go?

@peach pellen

For me the fast code editor on Windows is Notepad++

@plato.cato

Try Notepad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Thanks KeepTrying; I will remember that for future reference :)

Plato.cato - any improvement? Any changes? I'm hoping saving your code with a proper editor might do the trick.

Please let us know.

views:1900 update:2011/11/14 9:16:56
corona forums © 2003-2011