Jewelbeat music sounds for Corona games?

Hello guys.

I am hoping to use http://www.jewelbeat.com to buy couple of soungs for my upcoming game. What I want to know is:

1- Is anybody used them before? Comments?

2- Can I really buy a song say $1 from there and use it in my game as background music without worrying about being sued!

I will assume yes but I wanted your guys take before buying. The price is extremely so I do not care about that. I am just nervous using songs from any web sites. I hope I can use the songs from Jewelbeat.

THANKS!

Mo

I'm not familiar with that site in particular, but generally music usage for games or other media requires a specific license and is usually kinda expensive.

Thanks a lot crssmn! I checked their licence info here:

http://www.jewelbeat.com/static/license.php

And it seems that they do allow ios app use of the music. One of the background music I want is $0.99 (regular licence) but it seems that I will need to pay $19 for an extended licence. $19 for an almost 3 mn background music is a very good price, I think...

It seems that the differences are:

regular licence: 50,000 max download (I wish!) + only US

Extended licence: 1000,000 max download (ie: rich me!) + global distribution.

I also emailed the site to make sure. I will let you guys know what I found.

If anybody used them before, I will be interested about any comments you may have.

Mo

Hello guys,

As promised here below my email conversation with the JewelBeat people. If everything is correct, it seems to me it is a great deal since pretty much all the music there is $0.99! With a max download of 50,000 it is plenty for most of us. As I said, before you can dramatically increase that number if need be by buying the extended licence. The example I saw was $19 for the extended licence but I only look at the song I am going to buy for my game. Different music track maybe more expensive. I also like the fact that you can get shorter length of the same music (also 0.99 cents) if you want to.

Anyway, I am planning on getting my music files from them and see. You also get a 1000 free sounds effects free with any purchase. WOW sound more and more like a sales guy!!

Hope this help someone in this wonderful community.

Mo

-----------------------------------ME------------------------------------

I am small indie iphone developer and was hoping to use some of the music in your store. What I am trying to figure out is which licence I will need. The music(s) will be used as a background music for one of my upcoming mobile game (IOS - iphone) Not sure how many apps I can sell (the more the better!) and since Apple iTunes store is global, the app will be sold globally.

Can I use Jewelbeat music w/o risk and which licence will I need to use the music in my iphone apps?

Thanks a lot.

Mo

----------------------------JewelBeat ---------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in our music.
Yes you certainly can use our music for games you develop to sell on Apple's iTunes.
A standard license would suffice for up to 50,000 downloads and you can chose to upgrade to an extended license thereafter if needed.
Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Wish you the very best in your app downloads/sales!

Regards,
Shirley Lewis
JewelBeat Music
------------------------------ME----------------------------------------

Thank you so much for your fast response! I just have one more question: in the regular license text on your web site, it says that the license is only valid in the country where the sound is bought. In this case it will be the US. It also states that to use the sound worldwide, I will need a extended license. Is that your read? Or is the regular license would allowed me to sale my iPhone app worldwide? Apple ITunes a worldwide apps store so anybody anywhere will be able to buy my app.

I just to make absolutely sure that a regular license would allowed to sale my app worldwide up to 50,000 units.

Thank you again for your help.

Mo
-----------------------------JewelBeat-------------------------------------

A regular license would work fine for your usage as it does fall within our terms under downloadable products. See below, second section:
3a. The Standard License permits The Music to be used nationwide in the Country as determined by the Licensee when placing the order. However, this geographical limitation does not apply to online videos, downloadable products or podcasts.

You will only need to upgrade to an extended license if your game or app receives more than 50,000 downloads which I guess would be great news for you.
So yes the regular standard license at $0.99 is what you will need to get.

We own and produce all our music so there is no middleman in the whole process.
We don't really categorize ourselves as a royalty free library but more of a library with a direct license model where our customers are guaranteed that there is no additional fees from using our music and that it is totally legal. Who better than to license music from the owners.
Incidentally we have also opted out to be registered members of any performance rights organization and this therefore also makes us royalty free worldwide.
As a note of caution not all 'royalty free libraries' are equal. If you do a more in depth research you will see that many composers that submit to libraries are members of a performance rights organization and this therefore make all their work liable to royalty collection. This is really dependent on usage and country. Some PROs are more stringent while others are more relax. If I am not mistaken, ASCAP in the US is fighting tooth and nail to have royalty collection for internet use too although they recently lost a round which they swiftly appealed and I suppose will not give up on. I believe the UK already collects royalties on internet use as they deem it as broadcast. Most EU countries collect royalties on everything so long a composer is a member of a PRO anywhere in the world. So music licensing is really a changing landscape and licensing music from the right parties can be tricky. Every library really has its own terms and it would be best to really check thru them as the royalty free tag is widely applied. An alternative is licensing directly from bands or artists but do note that a profile of a band or artist may change if or when they are signed or if they become members of a PRO and this may affect the status of their music in terms of licensing. All there are debatable but what JewelBeat offers is a fail safe option to legally license music directly at an affordable price from a company that owns and produces all its music.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Shirley Lewis
JewelBeat Music.

views:2023 update:2011/10/19 14:58:09
corona forums © 2003-2011