Amazon Kindle Fire - Warning

Just wanted to share...

I got an email from Amazon Developer services yesterday stating they are in the process of testing all apps in their appstore for the Fire.

It indicated one of our apps was "incompatible" as it would not install. The email text stated this:

"Your app does not install on Kindle Fire. Please consult the Kindle Fire FAQ for a listing of incompatible permissions called in your Android Manifest file, as these may be causing problems with your app’s installation on Kindle Fire. If your app currently lists a permission that is not critical to the functionality or user experience of the application, we recommend that you remove it from your manifest file."

Now, we have several apps on Amazon and only received this about one of them. Not sure if the others passed (same corona build was used for all)...or if Amazon has not tested the others yet.

Wanted to give folks a heads up...and also reach out if anyone has some suggestions. Funny thing is, the email mentions reviewing permissions and comparing to the Fire FAQ...which is missing that section.

Maybe someone has more info...

Paul

Maybe now will Corona SDK give us full control over the used permissions... will see

When you build an app for Android, Corona adds 3 Android permissions (INTERNET, ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE and READ_PHONE_STATE) by default.

My app does not need any special permission so I tried to remove the permissions from Androidmanifest.xml. You can use apktool to do this.

It's possible to remove INTERNET and ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE permissions. But when I removed READ_PHONE_STATE permission, the app always crashed(black screen, vibrates 3 times and exits).

I think that many apps actually do not need READ_PHONE_STATE permission and it can scare the users so they do not install the app.
But it's not possible to remove it because Corona apps always crash without this permission.

I tested it on more Corona versions (last stable version 2011.591 and various new daily builds). I also reported this as a bug.

views:1760 update:2011/10/18 15:01:22
corona forums © 2003-2011