Marketing my first game

Howdy! I recently had my first iPhone app approved by the App Store!

There have been very few downloads and I have no idea how to market it so people even know about it.

Any tips from the seasoned veterans?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I am still working on my apps to release to app store however..

Did you create a youtube trailer? Shows some gameplay, not a super long one you don't want to bore people

Did you tweet about it?

Did you advertise on facebook?

Did you reach out to various websites that review iphone games?
(You can use your promo codes to distribute)

An more obvious choice, did you reach out to CARLOS THE MAN and ask to be featured game on Coronas Website?? HMMM?? :)

I taught networking via youtube, and did my lessons on there. I utilized all the social networking stuff, and if you are not then how will anyone know? I know it's not gaming marketing, but I have marketed lots of different products and what I mention above is very common.

I think Tiny Wings said NO to all of that and it went crazy on it's own. It's the exception though, and not the rule :)

ng

Thanks, those are all good tips.

No problem. I watch more game trailers and advertising than most people will in a lifetime. I am a hardcore gamer on all platforms and if you stick to a "less is more" approach you will attract more interest.

Some iphone trailers are 3 minutes long, which show a person playing the game, and not really highlighting any features.

Here is the trailer for TinyWings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnlE4cGgz0

Notice the pacing of features, not too long, nice pause between, good production - you "get" what's happening and go "Hey, that looks cool, I want to try it". For me and my short attention span, that was a miracle lol.

Looking at that above, you can see the following wants that I like, pretty much match to some degree.

What I like to see is something that will keep my attention something like

Intro screen, maybe a story

Then a short description of the adventure. A couple of seconds of gameplay for one feature, then another with small captions you things like

"Intense gameplay" (flash the video for 2 seconds of a hectict scene)

"Easy to play" (flash the video for game mechanics)

"touch the clouds" (obviously from the tiny wings trailer)

Pretty much you are highlighting goals without saying "YOU MUST DO THIS"

etc etc. I think of it as an elevator pitch - if you can't describe something in 30 seconds or less, then it's too complicated hehe. I'm very short on attention (most gamers are) if I smell lame or over complication, I just move on and not think twice about it. It's like visiting a website, when you want to search for something - I don't know about you, but if I feel like something is clunky/navigation is STUPID, I leave and don't think twice.

Those are just my strong opinions on it though, so obviously do your research :)

Jeez that was a longer post than I wanted, but I'll calm down now :)

ng

views:1407 update:2011/10/18 15:01:22
corona forums © 2003-2011