Local multiplayer or pubnub alternative

Hi!

I have tested pubnub and it's multiplayer functions. It's really great for just sending messages and doing stuff that doesn't has to be sent fast. I'm working with a game that would be so much more fun if it got multiplayer and I have to send both players coordinates between the devices and it is just too slow.

Local multiplayer is more than great with either wifi or bluetooth but I can't find anything that does that.

Online multiplayer can be a really tricky thing, and depends entirely upon the type of game you are creating. I use PubNub for the game I am working on, but it is turn based, so the logic was pretty simple. For years, developers have been using a few "tricks" that make multiplayer seem real-time, when it is not.

For example, a common approach is to send the input command for your player to the other player, and let the other player's device figure out the logic for that move. Also, a technique call "Dead Reckoning" can be used to predict the players movement when a command is not actually received.

I guess my main point is that you might be able to make a system like PubNub work for you, by limited the number of messages that are sent between clients.

I'm testing this with using two ipad simulators on one computer, does that make any difference because the delay is just like 1-3 seconds.

Or is it possible to make a local multiplayer option because that's all I need?

I can't guess what the other players position is cause it have to be moved exactly as it is played.

views:1654 update:2011/10/15 14:27:43
corona forums © 2003-2011