Feature request - Control surfaces

This thought started after seeing the excellent work done by udesignme . I prefer to define my controllers be it arrows or buttons defined in a later within Tiled and work with them through the Lime API. This will help me keep it all contained in Lime and consistent. Thinking about this I have a feeling some of the control surface type common code could find their way into Lime since everyone will need to do this on a regular basis.

I also think it will be important to be able to somehow prioritize the controller input over other animation etc. Something to think about.

Thanks for listening.

there is already a joystick module in the code exchange (http://developer.anscamobile.com/code/joystick). I think Lime should focus on being tiles manipulation.

I agree with newbie101 here because as cool as it would be to be able to essentially use Tiled as a game creator rather than just a level editor I don't think Lime would be the best place to do this as Lime was meant as a map loading framework rather than a whole game creation framework.

What could be done though is a separate tool/module that could use the data loaded from Lime to build an interface. These could be seperate and independent map files so they could be reused across different levels and even games, they would also load quickly as they wouldn't have 1000s of tiles to load aswell. I'm just spitballing here though.

Hi Graham,

I can understand your concern. Lets sleep on it. As far as I see in the toolset, you have already gone beyond using Tiled as "just a level editor". The properties in Tiled and how you weave them with Lime API functions cause me to write these lines.

Case in point... I can type IsAnimated and frameCount=3 in Tiled properties and not change a thing in my app and suddenly tiles will come alive when the app is run. To me, Tiled is already more than "just a level editor".

I know opinions are likely to wary on this and that you are the boss of Lime so its your call. The idea you have makes a lot of sense though.

Thanks for listening. Keep well.

I see your point as well and as I was thinking of creating an interface loader module (essentially allowing Tiled to be a GUI builder) I will probably make it a module of lime that only needs to be loaded if you want to use that stuff. I will probably call this Iyokan as I can't think of another fruit beginning with 'I'.

However I might not be able to start much of this for a while as naturally I want to get more parts of the rest of Lime working better.

Super. I fully agree this is not necessarily core. Here are other fruit names for you :

Lychee - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychee

Lingonberry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea

Hehe, I have "Lychee" for the "Loading" of the map, currently there is Mango for Movement, Banama for Building (physics), Coconut for Creation (visual) and there will be Papaya for Parallax and now Iyokan for Interface.

Oops. Sorry. Got confused for a sec. Iyokan it is then! Good going.

Realised after I posted that an uppercase 'i' looks a lot like a lowercase 'L' :-)

views:1554 update:2011/10/13 16:39:51
corona forums © 2003-2011