different sized tiles on same map

I want to use a 64x64 tiles for background, and 16x16 tiles for foreground objects that has physics.

-Is it possible to use two different sized tiles on the same map?
-To increase the performance, is it a good way to overlay the objects on background and destroy objects dynamically?
-How can I use infinitely long maps in one direction? I also want to handle the physics somehow.

yes

To slightly expand on this:

1. Yes that is perfectly possible.
2. The less active objects at any one time the better.
3. "Infinite" can be a very relative term. However if you mean really long maps then you could create those in Tiled making sure to think about point number 2, and if you wanted them infinite you might be able to create lots of smaller sized maps and then build them together in game by having two active at a time, the current and the next, and then destroy them when needed.

Since we can mix tile sizes, one thing I'd like to know; what performs better, a 32x32 tile or 4 16x16 tiles making up the same image?

Generally speaking, the more objects in the game the slower it will go as it is more stuff Corona has to look after.

Graham the man,

"
1. Yes that is perfectly possible.
2. The less active objects at any one time the better.
3. "Infinite" can be a very relative term. However if you mean really long maps then you could create those in Tiled making sure to think about point number 2, and if you wanted them infinite you might be able to create lots of smaller sized maps and then build them together in game by having two active at a time, the current and the next, and then destroy them when needed.
"

#3 - How would you do this? how would the code look I mean?

#3b - I have a map, it's 20,000 pixels high by 640 wide. Think doodle jump, but not really.

I have A LOT of animation, windmill, flying things, stuff going all over the place etc etc etc.

I hear about these performance issues, honestly I have done everything natively in corona for learning purposes but trying to place static platforms in my level is TIME CONSUMING BEYOND BELIEF.

The question would be, if I were to split my 20,000 pixel high by 640 pixel wide using 32x32 tiles (yes that's right, it's 625 tiles high by 20 pixels wide) into say 5000 pixel chunks (or whatever) would this increase performance? (pointing at "2. The less active objects at any one time the better.")

I would think yes, (im stupid noob so slap me if I am thinking wrong on this and going off into tangent land). It's like when you do a space shooter game and have sky.png and sky2.png and you scroll them, but you don't see the "tearing" or gaps etc.

Would this be the same thing? I don't mind doing this and would be a little easier.

Every try to look at 625 tiles at one time on screen? You have to break it up. I think your idea would work, but I need some direction on how that happens?

Side note:
Also FYI, tutorial 20, and tutorial20.tmx are not part of my 3.4 lime package for "Controlling the camera"

ng

The plan was to allow for Atlas to allow for map joining in exactly the same was as your space shooter example however issues with how the physics engine works in regards to objects in different groups scuppered this plan from the get go.

One way you could do it would be to modify your gameplay slightly so that rather than having one very tall continual map you would as you say split it up into chunks and then when the player reaches the end of one of the maps you would fade to black, load up the next map chunk, fade back in again and then let play continue.

Ok Graham, noted on the Atlas, I'll have to figure out maybe using fading out/in on diff levels.

Not sure if you caught this (I threw it at the end of my last post)

Side note:
Also FYI, tutorial 20, and tutorial20.tmx are not part of my 3.4 lime package for "Controlling the camera"

I didn't see the tutorial in the lime download? :)-

ng

Whoops, there is a possibility I wrote that tutorial after making the release but I can't remember. I will make sure it is included in the next release.

Graham,
When would the next release be kind sir? :) Hehe.

I was hoping for sooner rather than later, but circumstances got in the way.

For now I have uploaded the tutorial to here ( sans the Lime stuff naturally ) - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/571145/Tutorial20.zip

views:1655 update:2011/10/13 16:30:09
corona forums © 2003-2011