Can you save the code snippets file for back up?

Just about to buy Project Manager. For me, the code snippets persuaded me to purchase Project Manager as it will really save time.

I have one question . . .

Can the code snippets file (wherever it's saved) be copied for backup?

For example, if my computer blows up and I have to reinstall Project Manager I will loose all of my hard work creating reusable code snippets.

Hmmm...good point. There's no internal way to backup Snippets at this point, but they're stored in the CPM database, so if that's backed up as part of your "regular" backup then you should be safe anyway.

By v3 there should be at least one other option for backing up the CPM database -- maybe a couple or three if it all pans out.

Jay

PS - If I remember correctly, you can actually tell CPM to use Dropbox for your database location if you want. That way it's always backed up plus you can use the same data on multiple machines. It's a "secret" option because I didn't do a lot of testing plus it requires some manual configuring. But I know of at least one person who uses CPM like that all the time.

Thanks, that answers my question nicely.

I will back up the CPM database as you said.

Just bought CPM and played around with it today - really great piece of software! I am happy that I bought it. I have been creating snippets for everything, it's so convenient. I copied and pasted all my snippets into another file for extra back up too.

You said on your website that you are open for suggestions for improvements, so here is just one idea - if possible . . .

Code snippets with folder categories.
For example, I have a lot of physics objects coding for each individual object. It would be great to separate the code into folders to make it more manageable. Anyway, just an idea, it's great as it is.

Thanks again buddy :)

I don't know how CPM works (going to look into it now) but you could set up a dropbox folder and just sync that folder, that way any updates you make are saved to the 'cloud' automatically, and if your computer blows up its all safe and sound.

I keep all my project files in a dropbox folder just incase.

Kevin, thanks for the folders suggestion for Snippets. I'm making plans for v3 at this point and I know I want to beef up Snippets -- that sounds like an idea that's worth pursuing. Not sure how it'll shake out yet, but thanks for the feedback.

Jay

views:1369 update:2011/10/12 9:17:43
corona forums © 2003-2011