Including all subfolders (inclusive .svn) really sucks!

I just found my 10.5 MB App to have grown to 45 MB and found it most irritating that the build process now includes every single subfolder in my project-directory!

It may be cool to have subfolders... but this can't be intended!

Where can I configure which folders need to be included and which not?

I found a file names "ResourceRules.plist" in the Package... which looks like what we may need!?

It does contain stuff like ".*" "omit" ... But apparently this does not work...

Where is this documented... searching for "resource rules" did not find anything?

It was intended for storing assets in subfolders and I don't know of any way to omit certain (or all) folders. I don't think anyone thought the project folder would contain anything other than assets that are included in the app.

I filed a request for a way to omit certain folders from the build.

-Tom

Someone also mentioned this on another forum post.

We don't have that feature in Corona.

It is on our suggested feature list.

Thinking of adding a list of "ignore" directories.... in the prefs dialog. Would that satisfy?

C

Thank you for your quick reply tom and calos!

I wrote a long explanation why I personally think it is a bad idea to include "all folders" in the past...

I would suggest to first omit ALL folders and files starting with an . (dot) ... even if not using Subversion / Mercurial / CVS or whatever my editors leave behind.

I would assume this to be save for every existing topology!

Nobody wants to have random .DS_Store or any other "hidden" files inside a package usually. Just makes no sense overall.

Usage of those files can not be avoided without disturbing stuff like modern IDEs and Source Revisioning Software.

The other folders may or may not be useful... I for my part have stuff like "archive" and "unused" folders inside the project source directory. I think this should be possible as it keeps stuff together. One may say this can be done using another file topology and this is right.

I would love an "exclude" list configurable with just simple DOS (cough) style patterns. It could just contain ".*" (DOS Wildcard.. not Regex!) and filters files AND folders with matching names!

Actually I would have preferred an "include" instead of an exclude list.. just because of the fact that this would not break existing topologies for my projects :)

Duly noted.

;-)

carlos

Not a great solution, but when building for the phone, you could do an svn export beforehand. This will give you a pristine copy without the .svn files.

Sure... but this would imply a "checkin" for every device testing... currently I just drag the changed files to a location in a subdirectory of the project directory and build from that one..

2 months have gone by! Will this must have feature make the next release?

Every time I build an ad-hoc version for my testers I have to cleanup/remove unwanted svn files. It get's old very quickly. And for those that aren't using svn...say what? :)

Thanks!

There is fix in Corona.243 that ignores all folders and files that start with a period.

Let us know if this addresses your problem.

-Tom

Seems like Corona.268 does NOT ignore folders and files that start with a period.

It's very inconvenient, please, comment this.

I can also confirm that in 268 it still includes the .svn directories.

In release 484 this problem still exists. Is a fix for this still planned for a future release?
Right now I have to choose between unnecessarily added MB's or an unnecessarily troublesome build process.

@Tom @Ansca: Please, comment the situation.

commenting on the situation.

c.

:-)

i think that the daily build fixed this. am not sure. and am away from any real world computer so i can't check until i am in front of a network and real pc

i remember we opened a bug about it.

c

I'd rather Ansca not work on such a trivial problem that has such an easy workaround. There are real bugs that need to be fixed.

I'm not seeing any .folder or .file in the output package. I added .svn/world_copy.jpg and .world1.jpg to the HelloWorld sample and looked at the resulting .app and .apk and the folder/files are not there. I tried this in builds 268 and 565 (recent daily build).

I know this was fixed back in build 243. If you have a test case showing the problem, please include it here.

Thanks,
Tom

views:1715 update:2011/10/11 22:13:38
corona forums © 2003-2011