Building Bug : Online Build Creates ._Hidden Files Inside of App Package

Hi,
Recently I am experiencing problems with online builds.
The problem is that there is a number of hidden files that get created during the build process (ones with filename starting with ._ ). Again, important note is that these hidden files do not exist in my source folders on my hard drive. I am checking in terminal and they are not there, they get created online during the online build process.

So if I have following files originally in my source folder:

/images/
test_1.jpg
test_2.jpg
test_3.jpg

After I open the .APP package created by online build I will have following files there:

/images/
._test_1.jpg
._test_2.jpg
._test_3.jpg
test_1.jpg
test_2.jpg
test_3.jpg

What is more, the .zip file that is created by online build process doesnt contain this hidden files. If I try to install .app file directly through iTunes, it gets installed on device. However, if I try to install the app package that's inside of .zip file, I can't install because I get infamous error:: "...its resources have been modified". This happens because the hidden files are not part of the zip file so obviously iTunes considers the extracted APP package broken because these files are missing.

Another very strange issue is that if I try to compress the .APP file ( the one created by online build process), I can't do it, the compressing process always hangs and can't finish.

All these issues appear since I have purchased iOS registration and started building ad-hoc versions. I used Corona for a couple of months in demo mode and this problem didn't appear ( or at least I didn't notice it because I was using XCode organizer to load my apps on iPhone/iPad, not iTunes).

Anyone can help, or having similar issues? I seen similar issues with a user using Dropbox. I don't use Dropbox or anything similar. Just building from my computer, no cloud...

are you using dropbox?

c.

no, don't use dropbox or any other cloud service. I run Corona Simulator from my laptop directly, and all the files are pulled locally. the test i run is pretty simple. i have main.lua and config files only, and one folder with about 100 jpegs.
i would send the files but i'm on NDA, but nothing special going on, just a sequence of jpeg files.

also - while i was running in demo mode, online build was only outputting .app file and now since i purchased license i get .app and .zip as the output. not sure its a newer version of corona that's now handling my files.
what's really puzzling me is why i can't compress the .app file myself. another user on forum was having the same problem, but it was apparently attributed to drop box. i am not using dropbox and never did...

escalating it. i didn't read "don't - i read i use dropbox. duh. going blind.

c.

This is a classic Mac OS-ism dealing with resource forks and compatibility with the modern world.

See:
http://mattdanger.net/2010/01/dealing-with-_-files-in-mac-os-x/

If you are switching between Mac and Windows with zip files, things might get exasperated.

One thing you might try is stripping any resource forks that might be hiding in your original files.
http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/7054/remove-osx-resource-forks-._-files

(search 'strip resource forks' for more links)

Ewing, thanks, you're right. Resource forks seem to creep up my source folder although I regularly delete them, and for some reason I didn't seem to see them in Terminal, hence I was mislead to think that the files appeared during the build process.
Problem solved, Thanks again :)
N

views:1555 update:2011/10/11 22:13:38
corona forums © 2003-2011