Poor Performance on iPhone 4

I am using dynamic resolution images with scrolling views and tableviews and the performance is quite poor on an iPhone 4 compared to an iPhone 3GS. The 3GS runs perfectly smooth and the iPhone 4 runs at almost half the speed...?

I have customised the Listview and Tableview to runs at 60fps and scroll smoother so they look native to an iPhone. I would like to know if anyone else has found this as there was no posts that I could find about slow iPhone 4 performance?

I am curious as to what this could be... My hunch is the double resolution images struggle to render as fast on the newer device.

I am not a subscriber yet - but I am planning to be, before I am though I would like performance to improve on the iPhone 4.

where you are testing in xcode simulator or on actual device ??

if actual device then

try with setting fps to 30

elseif xcode simulator then

don't worry in device you get good perfomance ignore it and continue

end

:)

Actual device as I mentioned.

Tried setting fps to 30 but that's not really a solution is it?
It just makes everything slow...!

As I mentioned on a 3GS performance is near perfect, but exactly the same build using retina images performance is quite poor and noticeably so.

doubtful - can you post code?

images?

.c

I am not able to post the source code because we are developing this app for a client. I could strip out the branding graphics and then put up the source code but I think part of the problem is the imagery @2x for the retina display on iPhone 4.

I have attached videos instead showing the fps as I move the list views around. This is a scrollView using Gilbert's original scrollView class:
http://www.protein-one.com/temp/scrollView/

And this is a tableView:
http://www.protein-one.com/temp/tableView/

I realize that it's hard to see performance through a video because of the camera frame-rate, but the fps counter shows clearly what is going on - the iPhone 3GS is almost perfect 60fps the whole time whereas the iPhone 4 is half the speed. This is noticeable to the user!

**I may have possibly figured out the performance problem - it appears through testing it is the mask I am using for the tableView and scrollView to cap the top and bottom of the screen. I am masking the display groups of the scrolling content rather then overlaying with a top bar image and bottom bar image (the whole background is one image). I guess then it is a question of not using masking for this and using customizable width's and height's...

I have confirmed the poor performance i was having was due to masking the scrollView and tableView by doing a back to back performance test.

Ansca can you look into masking performance?

views:1755 update:2011/10/11 22:13:38
corona forums © 2003-2011