Console on Windows ?

Hello !

I'm trying to run the simplest print("hello mobile worlds"), and I can't find a way to get the output.

The console that launches with the simulator appears to be solely printing stdout coming from the simulator.

Whereas my mac buddy can at least "tail -f /var/log/system.log | grep -o 'Corona.*'".

Where can I get similar information on Windows ?

dr. z

good luck your life sucks.

your mac buddy

Read this.

http://developer.anscamobile.com/content/application-programming-guide-tutorial-introduction

The tutorials are a mess. Each has some little bit of wisdom so you have to look at them all.

That is the Corona in 5 minutes tutorial.

This tutorial covers Mac OSX bu in the corona folder on Windows there's no "Console" and the one opening with the simulator doesn't output anything.

Interesting. When I open the simulator on my Windows I get a console window and a Droid sim window. print( "Hello World" )
goes to the console window,

local textObject = display.newText( "Hello World!", 50, 50, nil, 24 )
textObject:setTextColor( 255,255,255 )

goes to the Droid window. The code for the Mac and the PC are the same, the compiling will be difference so any code in the tutorials will be the same no matter what platform you are on. I am just starting on this so I am struggling through the same things you are.

I will retry tonight with a different skin (I might have played with skins a bit) to see if it changes anything.

I'm 100% certain that using basic print("xxx") statement did not output to simulator console yesterday.

You're saying that launching the simulator on Windows launches two consoles : the simulator console and some other one.

I'm not seeing the other one at all - launching simulator only gives one console with some Ansca copyrights, and one warning regarding one call that the simulator does not support that I don't remember.

Can you provide more info about the other console, using sysinternals process explorer for instance, so that I may attempt to launch one ? Looking at installed binaries, I did not find anything looking like a console ...

Regards,
dr. z

Skin? You have skins? I have no skins. Are we talking the same software here? When I run the Corona Simulator (pool ball with an 11 on it) I get a standard black console window with a Windows simulator build date and some copywrite stuff. No warnings. I also get a seperate window that is the Corona simulator that looks like a Droid with File, Hardware, Window and Help menus across the top. I wonder if you have a bad install. I am assuming you followed the Windows install directions. I have done this install a couple of times with no issues.

I'm not sure they're called skins, but yes I can pick from several devices (droid, and some other stuff I don't recall).

Still at the office here, i'll come back and post with more details later on. We may be on to something here, regarding hardware profiles impacting the console.

Nevertheless, you mention exactly two windows : 1) the "console" (i'd say terminal, because you can't type anything) 2) the simulator (graphical stuff). That's what I got. I'm positive print did not send anything on the terminal yesterday.

Will recheck.
Meanwhile maybe you will find the skins/device selection somewhere in the menus of the simulator.

After checking, console output appear to be working. I'm confused.

Even more so confused there was mike here yesterday and he witnessed the console not outputting anything at all. I really wonder what happened, and I'm kinda wary of the next time it will happen (presumably next time I will need it ...)

For the record, skins (modes?) are available throught the "Window" menu, then "View as" submenu.

Thank you for your attention on this (sporadically?) non issue.

edit: I never mentionned my environment. I'm running Win7 pro 64 bits. Simulator appears to be 32bits, but maybe there's something fishy going on somewhere ...

That kind of skin.

You think you are confused now, wait until you try to understand some of the documentation! Whoever wrote some of this stuff knew the material, they just had no idea how to explain it to someone who does not. The videos are full of "and magic occurs".

Good luck.

i consider the second window that opens in windows the "terminal" (the first window being the device simulator) -- is there a separate "console" window available somewhere?

Trying to build and getting an error...

Build failed. Check the console window for errors.

@coynage

Retry / close-open the simulator until it starts working. I eventually got some error logging in what you call the terminal. Maybe reboot ? (Ah ... Windows ...)

Unfortunately AFAIK there is no way to get better diagnostics that could help the Ansca guys in locating this bug.

views:1658 update:2011/10/10 9:00:20
corona forums © 2003-2011