Which catagories would you recommend?

Hi,

I am getting towards the last third of my game, and I'm starting to wonder about which catagories to put it in.

The game is a version of the old Missile Command game, but with a cartoony / character theme.

I am planning on putting it into the kid's catagory as the bright graphics and character will appeal to kids, but for the second catagory I'm torn between Strategy and Arcade.

Im not ready to post images yet so I know this is a bit like recommending blindly, but do you think enough people browse the strategy section? Im leaning away from arcade purely because of the number of titles make it difficult for even a good game to be recognised.

Thanks

I would say it's more arcade then strategy based on your description. Plus I think arcade pairs better with the kids category if that is the direction you are taking.

thanks for the reply,

The only reason I was thinking strategy is because as the game progresses you have to be more careful with how you use ammo and try to destroy more than one enemy with each shot.

Im hoping the game will appeal to all ages, based on the theme, and the later stages definatly provide a challenge to older gamers.

I might go with arcade and hope to launch on a quiet day!

Gaz

Here's what i found for my game Walkabout. It also has a free lite version which directs to the paid.

I started with it in Puzzle and Strategy, both paid and lite. I found it did significantly better in strategy than puzzle. My conclusion was that there are too many soduko, tetris, match 3 type games in puzzle and you get lost.

I decided to move the Lite to Kids and Strategy. It lingered at the bottom in kids for a day, and then shot up in china and hong kong. It hit the top 30 in china an HK. It has now stabalised and is in the top 300 in kids for most of the big stores.

I decided I would move the paid as well, using one of those two categories as a backup, and then test another category. Yesterday I moved the paid to Kids and Action. It shot to 176 in China in action, and is 869 in US, and ranked in about 4 other medium size stores. I'll know tommorow for sure if Action is a worthwhile place to be.

One thing I have noticed is that your TOTAL sales per day decide your rank in each category. So 50 sales a day in Action may only get u to 200 for example, but it will propel you to top 50 in kids, which may then lead to sales from the kids category.

I'm going to test RPG next version and see what happens.

As an absolute guide on numbers the lite was being downloaded 50 to 100 times a day while in Stategy/puzzle, now in strategy/kids its a consistant 300 a day for the last 4 or 5 days.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the info, very insightful.

I have been toying with using action and family. as due to having to blow something up, it would get a 9+ rating, meaning kids wouldn't be the best for it.

Although I am still toying with strategy and family. got a while to decide yet though.

views:1254 update:2011/10/7 11:17:15
corona forums © 2003-2011