Staggered Free/Paid

Hello, all. I have a question, and I'm looking some opinions/thoughts.

I'm just about ready to release my first iOS game. There are two versions: a full version, and a free one (essentially ad-supported) My game's not that complicated, so I have no delusions of it receiving much attention. Perhaps, then, the point is moot...but I figured I'd ask anyway.

The problem is the free version. It relies on Ansca's new Ads API. Said API currently has a known issue when calling show() and hide() with reckless disregard. Unfortunately, I need to because there are elements in the game I don't wish to hide behind ads. Therefore, I'd like to wait until they fix the bug. ...but I realized that I can submit/start selling the full version since it doesn't have this issue.

My worry is that (in the parallel universe where my downloads will exceed 10 friends or so) releasing the full version followed by the free one within a week or two will leave people upset should they purchase before knowing they'd have the chance to try it for free.

Any thoughts on what I should do here? ...or anyone in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Christopher David YUDICHAK

My opinion is to release both versions at the same time, one with the ad's and one without. Ansca will fix your problem soon so I don't think a week of no ad money will matter. Besides, your first week is the most important. If people like your game enough, they will share it and you will be on the New and Noteworthy section which means tons of downloads! You don't make that much off ad's anyway. I get about $.30 for about 500 impressions and 1000 requests per day, so don't worry about losing alot of money. Just get it out there and see if it sticks :)

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my worry is not money. I don't intend to make much; I just made the app because I really wanted it. hehe

The problem is that the bug in question (while it wouldn't happen often) would crash the game...and I don't want to release it that way. I'm afraid that the few people who may download the app when it launches would find out a week or two later that they could have [temporarily, hopefully] saved their money and downloaded a free version to see if they'd like it first.

I would think it would depend on how long it takes for that fix to come out. If it takes a week like Ninjapig says then waiting would probably be best, especially since you say you don't want to anger anyone. I know you have that itch to put your first game out though. It's exciting, even if you know you aren't going to make big bucks.

I would get a definite answer on the fix or you may find yourself waiting longer than you expect. Me personally, I would release my pay version.

Thanks for the response, aaaron. I have asked Ansca about the fix, but there's no ETA. They say it's top-priority, but [from what I understand] it's not a Corona problem, but something with InMobi or their SDK...so I can't really pressure them to determine a better timeline for the fix.

I may just wait until next week and see what happens. If it's fixed by then, problem solved...if not, I'll just hope it happens while the app's in review with Apple. hehe

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

I released the paid version of OmniBlaster about a month before I did the free version.

The paid version is currently 1.2 and the free version is 1.1. I'm adding ad support with InMobi to the free version now and with any luck I'll release it this weekend (though I would like to know more about this bug!) I'm using a 60 second ad rotation if that matters.

Anyway, I'm adding some new features to the game, so I may end up submitting both the paid and free version of 1.3 at the same time.

@robmiracle

Thanks for the info. As for the bug, if you call ads.show(), then call ads.hide() before an ad loads (I don't know if they mean just the initial load or the loads between as well; I'm guessing the former), the app will crash. In most cases, it's probably fine since you load up the ads and let them go for the entirety of the session. ...but in my case, I'm hiding the ads when displaying certain game elements because the always-top ads interfere. It's a fringe case, I know...but if Ansca fixes the ad issue, it won't be a problem.

Well I never call .hide() so I guess I won't have the problem!

@robmiracle

Yeah, like I said, I'm sure it isn't a problem for most; unfortunately, it is for me. hehe Thanks again for your advice.

Have you considered releasing your free version with the ads disabled? When you are satisfied the the problem is corrected, you could then enable the ads and put out an update.

If this bug requires a code change on the Corona side, it may get into the daily build quickly but take much longer to get into an official release. I don't think Corona recommends releasing apps built with the daily builds.

views:1504 update:2011/10/7 11:17:15
corona forums © 2003-2011