Sprite Sheet Question

Hey all,

I'm new to the corona sdk but I was wondering if the corona sdk distinguishes high resolution sprite sheets from low resolution sprite sheets by using @2x or whatever as the suffix to the spritesheet name?

I am trying to create a sprite sheet for my background images one for low res images one for high res and then just pulling the background images off of the sprite sheet, but I didn't know if corona would handle distinguishing which sprite sheet to use based on the the device resolution the same way it does for normal images.

Thanks

Kyle

No, unfortunately it doesn't. I'm not sure about your particular use case - if it's a static background image, then you could just use display.newImageRect() to show the higher-res image where needed. But that won't solve your sprite sheet issue.

(To work around it in a game I'm currently developing, I just pitched the whole dynamic content scaling, set the 'scale' in config.lua to 'none', and am serving up images based on the resolution of the current device. So far it's working pretty well across iOS devices. Given the wider range of device resolutions on Android devices, I may encounter some edge cases where it will be an issue, but now that I have a framework in place it's easy enough to add extra images where needed. Since Android will be a separate build anyway, I can keep unneeded images out of the iOS build.)

Darren

im new to corona i have no clue how to get png's can anyone tell me the programs i need to make my first game.

@jadenkool: Probably you have already figured out by yourself, but if not, you should try GIMP (free), Photoshop, Paint Shop. Have a look at image editors and you will find one suitable for you.

views:2029 update:2011/10/3 8:06:12
corona forums © 2003-2011