Console errors have stopped

Long shot but...i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this....

The app i've been building stopped reporting errors to the console (and growl) while i'm developing. So now i'm coding blindly which is slowing me down a lot :(

I can't really say anymore... (cos i can't post any errors here) so i appreciate this will probably turn into a dead thread quickly.

perhaps someone knows of a log file or something that may have the errors stored...

One thought...and again this is a long shot:
If one of my required files doesn't contain the package seeall statement - does that run on a separate thread to the rest of the app? (in terms of console output)

Thanks
Mike

Hey there,

Firstly - this is NOT my area so I cannot provide a solution, but clearly it's a big problem for you; I'd be tearing my hair out!

Are you able to file a bug report, please?

Peach

I am having the same issue -- exceptions are being swallowed. Basically having to use print statements to see where the code stopped working. And I am tearing my hair out. :)

Mac? Windows?

What build?

Any steps to reproduce?

C

Thanks for getting back to us...
We have a main.lua which loads in a framework/page management class...

local framework = require('f_main')

But in f_main.lua we DON'T have a package seeall statement.
If we add the seeall statement we regain our errors (but unfortunately the rest of the project breaks :( )

Then, from f_main we do
local theGame = require('g_main') (which DOES have the seeall statement)

If we then put a random error in the game file, we get no errors reported.

Corona Simulator: 2011.484 (2001.4.12)
Mac OSX 10.6.7

Hope I've been clear enough :|
Thanks for your time.
Mike

local framework = require('f_main')

But in f_main.lua we DON'T have a package seeall statement.
If we add the seeall statement we regain our errors (but unfortunately the
rest of the project breaks :( )

--> why does it break? there is something you are doing that is beaking it. require needs seeall...

c

If you layer module references a few levels deep then yes you can hide errors in the console. I used to do this to get round compile errors, it never fixed the problem but at least the error was swept away :)

Creating a group and inserting something then you insert all that in another group with a nested function call from another module (with an error) should work but will not show the error and may crash :)

I've only skimmed this post, but my initial guess is that stdout (io module) is out of scope....you should not have to use package.seeall in straight Lua, but Carlos knows the inner workings of Corona much better than I and if he says it's required, I would listen. You can try overloading the built in function:

io.output

with your own function and then make sure io.output is visible (ie "io" module is referenced by a local var) inside of your private module

actually, if io is visible, you should not have to overload but this gives you the chance to intercept stdout....

let us know if this works

Hmmm,

I had in similar issue for a while. It turns out it was because I had the following line in my code:

debug=system.getInfo("environment")=="simulator" 

personalnadir.... you are a star!!!
That was exactly the problem. We can now see the errors reporting.
Thanks so much!
Mike

No problem! Glad to be a help.

I was caught out by that for 2 months I think.

views:1413 update:2011/9/28 21:38:26
corona forums © 2003-2011