How to turn emulator's skin off?

I have a 1920x1200 screen and emulator's window in iPhone4 mode will not fit it, with the bottom edge of the emulator's window containing the lower part of the skin and device's screen protruding to the second monitor positioned below.

The skin is useless. You don't need it to know what device you are testing on. But without it, the 640x960 screen of iPhone4 fits the 1920x1200 screen just fine. Same goes for Droid/Nexus screens on laptops with a pretty common 1440x900 screen resolution. But "thanks" to skin we have to use scaling or see emulator window span to another monitor. Why should we? Any good reason?

Try going into the program files of Corona and manually cropping (always back-up first) the iPhone 4 skin image. I would think this should work.

Thanks for the tip, I tried that, but it doesn't work as expected. The device's screen gets misplaced inside the emulator's window when I replace the iPhone4.png with a blank 640x960 image.

I think the emulator skins are cool and should probably be the default look -- but after we've oohed and ahhed over them and want to get down to business, let us toggle them off, please. :)

Jay

just click window > zoom out

@panicpop I don't want to use scaling and I mentioned that.

I will bring this up in our next meeting :)

Thanks!

Working with iPad apps & Retina sized screens in portrait mode, Corona simulator will not do very good. If you need to see things in 100% size - it won't do at all. Thats the same as working blindfolded. This must be the bug of the century.
Did anyone test this, or at least try making a HelloWorld app in retina size before releasing the simulator and claim it works for iPad sizes too? It's actually very important to test software before releasing it I think.

@viggo - yes it is important to test before release. On an actual device though; NOT just in the simulator.

I'm not certain what bug you are talking about - do you mean your screen is too small to display a whole iPad? If you think it is the bug "of the century" then please, explain what is going wrong :)

Ah yes, my screen (running in 1920x1080) is too small. But it would fit nicely if there was a way to turn off the surrounding chassi of the iPhone Retina/iPad and only view the screen itself in the simulator. Guess "bug" is the wrong word. A "Limitation" might be more precise.
Lucky me I got 2 monitors, so I can se 80% of the iPad simulation in one screen and the 20% bottom of it on the other. But that is not so nice thought.

Hopefully there will be a toggle option in later version of Corona, or the developers aiming for iPad need bigger graphic cards and/or bigger screen resolutions. My solution is to run the simulator on an older 19" screen so I can push the screen settings up to 1600x1200 and then just barely se the whole iPad screen. It's a bit quircy.

Now, all this is only a problem if the user needs to see the simulation in 100% size and in portrait mode. Scaling down is an option, but from a developers point of view this is not a good solution most of the time. You got to talk with the right people at about this. Use big gesticulations to underline the need for such toggle option :)

Something like this would be nice. The device inside a scrollable window. Then it works for all screen sizes. Not so fancy maybe, but very practial for a developer, even on a LapTop.

I get you now; more support for the toggle option ;)

views:1760 update:2011/9/27 8:54:05
corona forums © 2003-2011