webOS Support

OK, this is all because of that tweet from Carlos. How about build support for webOS. It would be great to do some Palm apps again. Nice platform, and good hardware.

If our community could provide apps for that platform it would probably help them out quit a bit. They are up against a lot of competition... And a good opportunity for us - a lot less competition in that space.

Well, just my $0.00

Cheers

+1 After the blog post about Palm's new tablet, and carlos's mysterious tweets about 'new toys', I think there might be a fairly good chance WebOS support is in the future. I personally would love this, and as you said, there's not much nearly as much competition as Apple or even Android. I would much rather have this than WP7 support.

I'd go for the third "real" platform rather than webOS, which is Microsoft's Phone7.
And there's a good reason for that:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-02-11-nokia-and-microsoft-form-mobile-partnership

Nokia goes phone7 as well.

Well, lots of different opinions on this I bet.

I don't care at all about doz, and think Nokia made a fatal mistake. I will not ever buy another nokia device - windoz on a phone - a terrifying thought! They only picked doz at Nokia after importing a boss from M$ - imagine that.

Well, I guess I sound a bit opinionated on this one. Must be all those years of doz programming. It took a long time to completely free myself of M$ - like to keep it that way.

Go webOS :-)

Oh well, talking about personal taste... I'm horrified as well... though I haven't seen a WP7 device yet, so I might change my mind.

But, as a developer, you should evaluate market before "personal taste". As of now - since Nokia got it wrong till now - the duo M$-Nokia might grow and reach the other two giants.
Especially considering Nokia still has something like 30% of the whole mobile market - which isn't exactly "nothing". :)

Well I can't argue with the fact that it could be a good market. it may well be. If you like that market, go for it and good luck to you.

I can only vote with my dollars and the software my company creates. No purchases of anything from M$, and we will not build any software for that platform.

Stubborn, Yes. Happy, Yes. I like OS X, Linux, and Open Source.

Cheers.

I can't argue that either. Everyone's free to bet his own dollars wherever he wants.

From Ansca's perspective, I hope they bet their dollar on "widening" their market targets... which for me should be WP7 and desktop (Windows/OSX) as of now.
It's quite always been: bigger markets first. Niche markets... last.
Sympathies aside.

Corona is for developers. And if a wide majority of Corona users need "webOS" support... it's ok. But if they need WP7... it must be still ok. Right ?! ;)

I agree erpy. Ansca will and should do what is in their interest.

I voiced my opinion and you yours. The more opinions they get, the easier the decision will be.

I hope the next target is Mac desktop (bought a lot of new software since the app store is on my desktop).

Cheers

Wow, Nokia stock down almost 20% since Friday - not many Nokia people are happy about getting in bed with M$.

That's something I commented around in another forum. Nokia still have a good share in the mobile market. The fact Nokia did not introduced nor announced intentions to create its own "app store" - making it the fourth on the market - probably discouraged shareholders.

If you go with someone else's solution, means you're no longer a "top player" in that market.
Probably MS shares rised when Nokia announced it would go for Phone7. ;)

Yes - probably good for Microsoft. Too bad about Nokia. They chose the wrong CEO (IMHO).

LOL - Cheers,

Peter

Palm was a great company, and it was a shame to see them fizzle out after their last attempt to make comeback. If all the Corona developers were able to suddenly send their apps to the webOS platform, that would be a great gain for the platform and would give them a nice little boost against the other guys in the market.

I'm definitely all for this.

actualy there is a tool (or should i say 2 tools) to port ios (and android) aplication to windos mobile 7... called Windows Phone API Mapping tool.
you can read more here:
http://windowsphone.interoperabilitybridges.com/

i don`t say that corona should implement the build for winmo....but it could be great to have this....no to mention even greater than this is to be able to build for webos...just think of what this will mean...one code for 4 platforms...even more corona developers...even more games and apps...in other words...absolute pwnage :))

views:2240 update:2011/9/18 10:09:28
corona forums © 2003-2011