Display performance issues (possibly Droid specific?)

Apologies if this has been hashed over, but I'm trying to figure out why performance on a Moto Droid is problematic. Specifically when I have a large background image (1024 x 1024) I lose 20% of my performance. My overall texture memory usage is < 8MB on average, but I'm unsure what a reasonable target is for specific devices.

Is there an easy way to figure out what is causing problems (a profiler/perf analyzer)?

Specifically I go from about 20fps with the background to 30fps without the background. Finding that out took a LOT of manual work just removing individual display objects.

I'm unsure if this is specific to the Droid or if it's just that I have a general performance issue that is masked when running on the simulator (which is always 30fps) or on my Acer Iconia (always 30fps).

Looks like I figured this out, although it still mystifies me a bit. My 1024x1024 background image was I guess consuming too much memory, so rescaling to 256x256 got back my framerate.

But reported texture memory usage was well under 10MB before that, and that seems to be within reason?

views:1336 update:2011/9/26 8:07:09
corona forums © 2003-2011