Calcudate [FREE | iPhone]

Hey guys!

I'd like to introduce you to our first Corona App! This App was made for a client, and was definitely a good learning block to take us to the next level of producing our first Corona game :)

Calcudate is a cheeky ice-breaker app that works out how much of the bill you should pay based on the answers you give to certain questions.

Download link: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/calcudate/id402309793?mt=8

Would appreciate any downloads and feedback that you can offer :)

Thanks,

// Ed

I love the graphics! I'm downloading it now to check it out...

okay, some feedback:
1) I wish there was sound
2) the top of the calcudate logo on the main menu has a small line on top of the plus heart. You can probably fix this by adding a little transparent border to the source image.
3) I love your company logo.
4) I personally think the 'shiny' pre-rendered app icons look worse than the ones without it. Contrast atracts the eye and all that the shine does is wash out the image. but otherwise I like the app logo.

Good luck with your game!
-Angelo

Thanks for the feedback :)

1) Hope to get this added in the future, but wasn't spec'd for v1.0
2) Can't see this? What device are you using?
3) Thanks :D
4) This was a bit of an oversight, have already changed this for the update

// Ed

No problem!

I'm using an iPad, so that might be it. I've seen it before in my game when I used images with weird dimensions.

If you're in need, check out soundrangers.com for good game sound effects.

-Angelo

Those graphics look great. I'm not personally into dating apps, but this one is funny (can you imagine how your date would react if you whipped this out?) and I'm looking forward to seeing what you create next.

just tried this.. looks nice..i like your graphic style

a couple of issues and a couple of questions...

* the left hand side of the A,B,C,D hearts seems to have a slight graphical smudge. is it from a spritesheet?

* back button on the questions would be good

* did you use director class for swapping screens? and are each question screens separate lua files or do you lay them out dynamically using a "template" layout eg with question.lua? (not sure if the director class allows you to go between 2 of the same file?)

thanks
j

@Yobonja - It must be something to do with upscaling when using the x2 function on an iPad. Not really fussed though :)

@jhocking - Thanks bud :) haha! Our client wanted it to be a light-hearted app so hopefully we pulled that off! We have some big things planned for the near future :)

@jmp909 - Can you show me screenshots of what you're seeing? As far as I can see they look perfectly clear :S .. We thought about a back button, but then though that as it's a "test" you shouldn't be able to reconsider your answer so to speak? Yes we used the director class, and separate lua files for each question.

Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

// Ed

hi you'll see where i've circled there's a bit sticking out, looks like the edge of another graphic maybe?

also the text is cut off 1 pixel at the bottom.

nothing major, just interested to know if it's a Corona scaling issue, or spritesheet issue etc

regards
J

Thanks for posting the image jmp, what device is that on? It's definitely not the images (they are all individually cut) and they are crystal clear on my iPhone 4. Must be a scaling issue so I'll do some investigation!

// Ed

3GS

Hey, did you guys make this game?
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.magmamobile.game.BubbleBlastValentine

Or is there some place cool where you both got your art?

-Angelo

That is crazy.. I noticed that game on the market yesterday ( Just got a Nexus S ) and was like woah!

Calcudate is designed by one of our freelance designers and, by the looks of it, it seems both projects had the same idea in terms of design!

Having worked with a lot of designers ( and being a mid level designer myself ), I know that it is really hard to draw something a different way when you always have your style, so I can understand there is no point designing something different when you've drawn something!

// Ed.

Ah okay, that's cool - I was hoping for some good source of game art like CGTextures is for textures.

Guess not :)

-Angelo

views:1757 update:2011/9/24 8:48:32
corona forums © 2003-2011