What would I gain if I recreated this app with Corona? It's FREE!

Hey you guys,

I am new to the forums so I will introduce myself as young. I call myself this because I am young.

Anyways I have made a game in Gamesalad and really would like to improve it. I would like your guys opinion on the ease of Lua and learning it. Also what I could add if I used Corona. I have been wanting to learn Lua this summer I just want everyones opinion on weather my game would become better if I switched to Corona. Please help me. I really love all the features Corona offers. But the question is if they are easy to implement and work.

Thanks a bunch,
Young

PS: Here is the link to my app. Check it out and tell me if I should remake it in Corona and what Corona could add to it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chalk-n-ball/id439131432?mt=8

Hii young,
I have a few apps that I had made in objective-C and now have them in coronaSDK. Before I answer what it did for me, let me ask you one question, if you are happy with GameSalad, why are you even considering CoronaSDK?

For me, I have maybe lost a little control that I had with objective-C as I could do a lot more than I can do with Corona, but on the flip side, I can churn out game like apps, faster and easier. So it was a trade off for me while porting my apps. For new apps, I have a planned scheme of things so that I can get around what Corona can do.

In short, Corona can add only what you can take out of the framework, it is no magic/ silver bullet.
I wanted to go android, but I guess I shall stick to iOS for a while more. So....

Hth,

?:)

Hey young,

I used to use GS - I moved over here in November.

As to how easy it is to learn Lua, it took me just under three weeks to complete my first app (Happy Doodle Sushi Smile) - and prior to that I didn't know any coding languages at all. (HTML was beyond me, even.)

What you gain is faster load times, for one thing; often no (noticeable) load times at all.

Then there's Android - with NOOK Color support coming soon.

We also have OpenFeint.

Then there's the fact you can use your own splash screen; Corona doesn't make you put their name or logo in anywhere, regardless of what license you have.

We've also got In App Purchases - and the bloating of the final compiled product is minimal by comparison.

Either way; as an ex GS user I am glad I made the switch, but what Jayantv says is also worth considering; it comes down to you :)

Peach

Hey Young,
I am thinking of learning Corona too :D I am still a current GameSalad member who is big in the community. My GameSalad username is NextGen. I personally have a tutor to teach me Lua & the SDK. I am switching over to Corona as my apps that I am expecting to develop, are nowhere near possible in GameSalad. I am positive this app will be featured everywhere once published. But Chalk-N-Ball, can be developed so much better in GameSalad. By that I mean there is so much more you could do for that app in GameSalad, that for such an easy app; there's no need for such a switch. What inspired me personally to make massive games & take a peak at the Corona SDK was how Carlos congratulated Photics on BOT. That was amazing. I am looking for such a community to be a part of. The GameSalad community, is falling apart :(

Matt

Hi Matt,

I actually recall the user name; I've seen you around there.

Corona is very different at first but once you get into it it's just amazing - and yes, Carlos is wonderful.

The community here is growing and changing in positive ways as well, more and more people are getting to know one another and with the recent introduction of user pics it makes it easier to spot buddies ;)

Peach

I'm looking forward to it ;) My tutoring starts today :D

Matt

welcome aboard :-)

c.

Glad to be here :D Peach Pellen, what your GameSalad Username, I'm curious if I know you? :D

Matt

views:1623 update:2011/9/22 9:57:39
corona forums © 2003-2011