PROPOSAL: A "welcome" and tutorial for all of the new Corona members!

Hi all,

I recently started learning Corona/Lua myself, so I'm not any kind of authority on the engine, but with the "collapse" of GameSalad and alot of those members looking for a new platform for bringing their game ideas to reality, I think we need some kind of welcome and introduction for those users! Switching from GameSalad to Corona, especially with no previous coding experience, can be intimidating and I want to see as many people possible coding with Corona, making games, and promoting this awesome engine. :)

So, I propose a mutli-user chat of some kind. Perhaps a scheduled Skype "public chat" at a specific time, where new (and old) Corona users might log on to participate and share ideas. I think many people use Skype these days. I have never set up a public chat using Skype, but it appears to be possible, and I think it would be a great introduction to Corona/Lua for those new users who want to participate and those users who have been coding in Lua for quite some time.

Being subscribed to e-mail notifications in the Corona forums, my inbox has been flooded with questions from new users. What is a function? What is a table? What is an event? While those questions "can be answered" in the documentation, I think a personal chat would help expose these issues much easier to users unfamiliar with the concepts... or IF they are familiar with the concepts of functions from other languages, maybe the public chat would help users understand the concept of global and local functions in Lua, along with Lua's use of first-class variables, tables, listeners, physics, etc.

So what does everybody think? Could we set up a public Skype chat for this weekend? Does evening (U.S. time zone) work for most people? Please share some ideas here... we suddenly seem to have alot of new or potential Corona users, and I want to welcome them all to Corona, not "scare them off" to another package like Cocos2d or (*shudder*) back to GameSalad.

Get the ideas flowing everybody... it's time to grow the Corona community. :)

Brent

There is already a beginner webinar scheduled for tomorrow with "Engineer Eric". Great minds think alike it seems!!!
http://www.ijustwannamakesomegames.com/forum/index.php?topic=24.0

See you there!!!

im gonna b there do we need to just come and watch or would it be better to have mac with me cause ill be at work again with a pc

views:1594 update:2011/9/21 13:23:32
corona forums © 2003-2011