Any Advice On The Business Side Of Things?

It's quite a coincidence that I came in here today to talk about this, only to find this post is already breaking the ice on this subject.

I've been a web developer for about 5 years, and I find that whenever I need some code examples or help, I can usually find it somewhere. And even if it's not great advice, it often will help me figure things out for myself.

There is no such easy route for the business side of things, however; no debugger and no API documentation for things like how paying taxes, registering trademarks etc work in our world.

So I'm hoping that some of the more experienced folks here in the Corona Community can provide some examples of things they've learned, as well as laying out a bit of a roadmap for how they would suggest going about running an app business. Some specific questions I have are:

* Do I need to start a 'real' business, or do I just fill in a 'business name' in a text field when I release an app and call it a day?
* What about paying taxes? Is this going to be something I report on my income tax?
* I know that an app store will take a cut of the profits - what about other hidden costs?

Thanks guys. I just bought a year's subscription of the Corona Game Edition to get in on the deal they were just running, but I don't have the time or a Mac just yet to actually do anything with it. This will be something good to brush up on while I wait.

Disclaimer: I will not, nor should anyone else who reads this or anything else online or in print, hold anyone but myself accountable for following advice given on any subject at all. I'm only looking for some helpful advice, and understand I should not build my entire business model around any information obtained in this manner. Also, I am a US citizen, and will shortsightedly assume all advice given pertains to US laws unless otherwise noted. :)

views:1442 update:2011/9/21 13:23:32
corona forums © 2003-2011