In App Cross Promotion

I'm a couple of weeks away from submitting my first game to the app store and I'm very interested in exploring opportunities to get noticed.

I think cross promotion of our games would be a fantastic way to get new eyeballs, with no downsides. I know stuff like OpenFeint already has something like this, but I feel it's too hard to get into for most people. A button labeled "More Games" right in the Menu screen would be much more effective. Also limiting the number of games to small selection of top quality ones will result in more conversions.

Basically I'm thinking of something like this:
http://apptreasures.com/

New apps helping older quality apps remain selling and in turn those apps helping the new ones get noticed, forming a virtuous circle. I think it's a great approach and it's effectiveness has been proven (Flower Garden sales were greatly helped by Harbor Master for example).

So if you're interested post here. Also, obviously we would have to mutually agree on the quality of the apps (I like yours, you like mine). Like I said I'm still a couple of weeks away from release, but you can already get a good feel for where I'm headed, so if you're interested I can make you an adhoc build (or send screenshots and what not).

I have to say I'm a little surprised by the lack of interest in something like this. It's mostly pure upside for everyone involved with little to no costs.

I'm thinking we should strive to replicate this:
http://mobileorchard.com/app-treasures-indie-iphone-game-developers-school-of-fish/

I feel indies sticking together is the only way to compete with the big publishers that are starting to take hold of the appstore, where the success of each member in turn helps the success of the rest in a virtous cycle.

I personally like the idea but I think it would be ridiculously hard to implement on a larger scale than as a one off deal of sorts; what's in it for people who are selling a lot who could just promote their own apps, and such.

Some advice though as this will be your first app, build up a list of people who you can email promo codes to the moment it is released. Reviews and ratings make a difference, especially EARLY on when you have maximum exposure.

If you do end up making a list and wanted to add me and allow me to add you, shoot me an email. My name here @gmail.

Peach :)

That there are some challenges in the implementation is true, but I don't think it's that big a deal. Also this isn't aimed at developers that already have a ton of successful apps in the store that are cross promoting themselves, but more for the ones that are releasing their first quality apps. And quality is of course very important, you shouldn't promote something you aren't confident in.

I'm thinking it should be set up as a sort of website that can be browsed inside the game. With links to the relevant pages of the promoted games and their itunes site for purshase. It's the easiest way to implement since any changes in the promoted lineup wouldn't require a resubmission of all the games supporting the program. Like I mentioned earlier I think the apptreasure guys got it right and I feel there's no need to reinvent the wheel here. Maybe you could download one of their free games and check out how it works (I suggest Harbor Master Free). Now I'm not terribly sure if Corona supports something like this (browsing inside the game), but I'm sure we could find a way to make it work reasonably well.

Great advice on the mail list, I'll be sure to add you!. Also, I'm looking forward to the Achievement OpenFeint tutorial.

I might take a look at that; although not until tomorrow as it's 2:30 AM here and my partner is sleeping and I have accidentally left my iPhone in the bedroom, so not apps for me tonight >.<'

As to the mailing list, any chance of my grabbing your email as well? :) My first Corona app should be out in a week, I'm guessing :)

I'll try to get back to you after checking out Harbor Master Free. :)

Oh and thank you RE the tutorial :)

I hope to get the section on achievements up within a day or two; I always announce it on Twitter and Facebook when I do one so if you add/follow me you wont miss it, just FYI :)

Peach

Ok, mail sent :)

You could setup a server that would have the name of apps and links then have code that ppl would include in their games to read and display the info that way it should stay in game
Am I right or not
Don't know much about setting up this

Probably. Honestly I haven't given the implementation aspects that much thought. I'm more interested in seeing if there's support for this kind of idea first.

@IgnacioIturra we had the same idea and created www.thekinetik.com Kinetik lets developers choose whom to promote with. We have more than 160 apps registered for both iPhone and Android apps. It's 100% free. If you have any questions/comments let me know at raul(a)thekinetik dot com -- happy coding!

I signed up to give it a shot, but I'm not too clear on some things.

First, can it be used with Corona? Playheaven for example won't work. If this is just a button in the app that leads to a webpage it would work, so I'd love to know how the system is set up.

How does the commision work? And are all the credits worth the same? If I do a free promotion for example, I'm gonna get more downloads, but they're not worth the same as the paid ones. How does your system handle that?

Also more info on the credit system would be nice. Starting out I'm assuming you'd get into negative numbers pretty quickly, what happens then?

If you could just tell us (me, since no one else seems to care about cross promotion) more about how the system work, I'd really appreciate it.

views:2165 update:2011/9/21 13:23:32
corona forums © 2003-2011