Corona Developer Program - What is it?

What is the Corona Developer Program? I can't seem to find any information on what it is, or what it offers. Is it required to deploy games to Apple's App Store?

Is this something that we must have, and does it incur a recurring fee (and if so, how much)?

I'm really interested in purchasing Corona, but I don't like the idea of having to pay a yearly fee for Corona, AND a year fee for Apple's developer program.

Thanks

By joining the developer program you get access to the full version of the SDK. And it is a yearly fee. Means if you don't resubscript, you can't use the SDK further after that.

If I were to decide to allow my subscription to lapse, would I still be able to develop with the version of the SDK I have at that time, or would I no longer be permitted to develop with Corona at all? It's starting to sound like I'm not buying a product at all, but subscribing to a service.

If I buy a product, surely I should be able to continually use that product without having to continually pay fees, no?

I fully understand that I'd only be entitled to updates (etc) whilst subscribing, but I would still expect to be able to use the software I originally purchased.

Cheers

In software world, you never buy the product, you buy the rights to use the software according to a license. That is something different.

But I think you should contact Ansca directly for your questions.

Absolutely - The license is (effectively) the product. I shouldn't have to additionally have to subscribe to a service to be able to continue to use it though.

Take Visual Studio 2008, for example. I pay for the product/license once, and I'm not expected to pay a yearly cost to be able to continue to use it. Sure, I can optionally subscribe to MSDN (which I do), if I wish to receive new releases (VS2010 etc), but I continue to have full use of VS2008, regardless of whether or not I subscribe to MSDN.

Thanks Mike.

views:1321 update:2011/9/20 17:36:54
corona forums © 2003-2011