Can not find Float on Android Market

Dear Carlos and his team.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this on so I have just emailed customer support. (customersupport@anscamobile.com)

(But it returned by postmaster@mail.hotmail.com
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure))

Anyway:

Congratulations on what you are doing with Corona.

I really believe in what is happening at the moment with "The apps War" and have realised that people just need to learn that apps are out there for them. I know a lot of people with smart phones but many of them don't visit the apps store or download apps.

A friend of a friend has a Galaxy S and has never downloaded an app. When she was last in my house, I thought I would show her "Float". She loved it and wanted to download it straight away. I had it on my iphone4 and also on my HTC desire (Two phones for app development testing) and I know the Galaxy S is android so we searched for Float on the android market. It showed up on my phone (Obviously as I had bought it) but we couldn't find it on her phone on the android market. She has tried a few times at home to find it but has now given up and will probably not look for any other apps.

How has this happened? How come I can find it on the HTC but not on the Galaxy?

I would appreciate an answer as I want to encourage as many people as possible to start using apps, plus when I finally get my first app out there, I want it to be available in as many markets as possible and need to know about things that can go wrong (Like in this case).

Many Thanks

Paul Sheridan

MD Learn Music Ltd
MD Mooway Music Ltd

Below is my story so far: (if you want to read it) My app is not a game!
It is a new musical virtual instrument that will revolutionise the way we read and play music. I have been running trials on this product for months and I have everyone reading and playing music within minutes, even 3 year olds.

The Moozi Maj !

I invented/innovated a product (May 2010) and spent time and money on patent search, prototypes etc. Set up a new company.

While the prototypes where getting manufactured, I learnt how to use adobe flash and bought a HP TouchSmart laptop, to simulate the product. I went around local schools and demostrated to the head Teachers on the lap top what I intended to do and could I use their school as free trials on my product. I was so impressed that I could produce flash interactive files but still stayed with the prototypes as I new schools wouldn't buy loads of touch screen lap tops so it still needed a cheaper usable product.

I made 15 prototypes and set up a website that hosted all my content, including tutorials. The website and content worked like a dream at home and even in schools it worked on the smart white board which is in every primary school here in the UK. I discovered swichmax4 instead of flash as it produced a swf file but was more user friendly (GUI).

I started the trials but quickly found out that even though schools had at least one good computer in each class room, the computers or lap tops used to access the web and use the smartboard, were not powerful enough for my flash rich content. Also to get my product manufactured with moulding injection etc, packaged, distributed etc was getting rather costly. The school market is 16,000 primary schools here in UK and I thought that was a big market.

I then realised that I could get this done for ipad and the market was also big. In fact with iphone and ipad it was 160 million. Great.

I looked into paying someone to do this for me but also looked into the possibility of doing it myself. I decided to try it myself and learnt ios development. (Oh yes at the same time as running another business). I was doing quiet well with obj C but I didn't want to release my brill idea into the apple market, only for it to be copied in the android market so I wanted to release for android too. With there being so many different android phones I started looking at cross platform. I discovered corona and within a few minutes had done what it had taken months with ios sdk.

I am happy that, using corona, I can easily create apps for ios but also for other platforms too. (Hopefully corona will soon be capable of dev for things like Motorola Xoom, windows mobile platform etc.) It is great that it is open source and clever people can contribute, like Jonathan Beebe and Ricardo (Director Class).

In a nutshell I

I am used to working things out for myself with tutorials and help from forums. I have made some amazing databases with Ms Access using action queries etc.

The code journey!!!!!!!!

1. Learnt how to use adobe Flash for interactive files.
2. Then learnt SwishMax.
3. Learnt how to use Joomla for websites.
4. Then learnt ios Dev
5. Then learnt Lua with Corona.

Out of all of them, the two open source products have been the easiest and the best, great time savers and easy to use. (Joomla and Corona)

It has been nearly 12 months in development but in that time I have learnt a lot about software dev, and can always use these new skills I have in my future work, infact I have already thought of ways to improve my other business. I feel so confident that I am thinking of starting a third company just to do development.

Many many thanks to Corona.

Paul Sheridan

views:1750 update:2011/9/20 17:36:54
corona forums © 2003-2011