Request for Interest - If Ansca was to organise a workshop in Australia,

Hi,
July is xWorld 2011 organised by AUC
June is WWDC 2011 organised by Apple
May 2011 is AC/DC organised by Ansca

so that leaves us with either March/April or July/August to arrange for AC/DC in their home country, Australia.

If Ansca was to agree to have the Asia-Pacific conference in Australia, how many would be interested? Please respond so that it can be organised and arranged.

Alternatively, if there were Workshops on using Corona SDK, How many would be interested?

Lastly the most crucial question, WHERE? One of the Metors or a nice location like Whitsunday, Airlie Beach, Barrier Reef, Kuranda, Phillip Island ???

cheers,

Jayant C Varma
OZ Apps

I would personally be interested in it but at the same time, I wouldn't show up - I'd have no way of getting there even if it were in Sydney as I don't drive >.<'

If I had the money to attend I would, though - so I guess mark me down as possible interest? XD

On a side note I'd love to know how many Australians we have here besides you and I :)

Anyone here from Singapore? Any Ruby developers here attending the RedDot RubyConf (http://reddotrubyconf.com/) ?

I and one other colleague will be in Singapore on April 22-23 for RedDot RubyConf. There are also a few Corona lurkers in the Manila Ruby community who will be in Singapore. Maybe we can do a Corona Singapore meetup either on April 21 or 24?

EDIT: Whoops sorry for apparently going off-topic. I thought I was in the general Ansca conf thread.
I'll move or delete this reply if I can, but I can't.

But you bring up a good point. ANSCA should be able to tell where their user base clusters exist in AP. Any suggestions?

KSan, I guess Corona knows where their user base is. I am trying to organise a series of workshops in Australia, so I thought that it would be great if we can have Ansca hold the AP/AC/DC ( Asia Pacific AC/DC )

So people in Australia and around australia, including Japan and Far East Asia, maybe even upto India and China (if they would like to come to Australia for the same)

First hop from US to AP/J are places like Hong Kong, Singapore or even Tokyo. It takes considerably longer to fly to Australia.

I can see a conference for Australian developers in Australia but its tough for me to fathom all developers from Asia flocking all the way to Australia for the privilege. Maybe its just me. Anyways. Let me not throw this thread further off-topic.

It might be better not to host in an out of capital location. People might be flying in from abroad or another capital.

Having to catch an additional flight or drive up to Airlie from Brisbane for example might be a bit too much.

If your capital flight arrives out of sync with the connecting flight, it's an extra night stay in the capital in either direction.

If it's an AP conference then Perth would be the "fairest" (not best) location - midway between the eastern states and Asia.

@bedhouin,
I understand your point of view, if people are coming from out of town, they might want to also enjoy the scenic Australia. Still, you have apoint, that many might want a Metro city like Sydney or Melbourne.

Are you from Perth? Perth is like a country away ;)

cheers,

Jayant C Varma

@jayant: I'm sure it would be nice to see regional areas (and they still could on their own), but the logistics of getting to and from towns might put some people off coming altogether.

I am from Perth but living in Asia. That's what I meant about it being the fairest location - it's a country away from everyone :)

As long as there is shrimp on the barbie am there !

C.

I'm sure girls in bikinis riding bareback on kangaroos and jumping over koalas while singing Waltzing Matilda can be arranged if it will seal the deal!

forget the women on bikinis, bring on the koalas and kangaroos---err ===wait ---- i think it should be the other way around ---- errrrrrrrr

c

I've heard tales of koalas in bikinis down in Tasmania, never seen it myself (they're a strange bunch down there). I guess that could be sorted out if it you're keen...

Hello Australian Corona users!

I'm also curious how many of you are here in the Corona forums, and where in Australia you live at the moment. I'm coming to Australia next month, relocating there for some time (perhaps 6 months to a year, maybe longer). It would be awesome to meet up with you and chat about some Corona, what projects we're all working on, etc.

I'm not sure which city/region I'm going to base myself in... I was planning on Brisbane but the terrible flooding around that region is concerning, to say the least. One thing for certain is that I'll be flying into Sydney, staying for at least a few days, then I might look for a rental down in Melbourne or Adelaide. I'm really not sure, having never visited your fair continent, but I've heard great things about basically the entire Gold Coast, NSW, Victoria, etc. (not to omit Perth, but that might be a bit far out to begin).

Anyway, if you want to exchange contact info and possibly meet up at some point, let me know. I look forward to visiting your country:)

Brent

@IgnisDesign, When you mention Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, you must be aware that if it was Europe, these are equivalent to Paris, Munich, Sicily and Moscow. That's how far these cities would be.

Brissie is now fine and recovering, the floods could have been averted had someone let the water out of the Dam. I have heard that several such floods could be managed if the Dam water was managed properly.

Mainly QLD is a bit more country, warm/hot and beautiful, NSW (Sydney) and VIC (Melbourne) are more Metro and bit wet and cold.

Perth is like a country away, it is faster and easier to reach Japan or Singapore from the east coast. You are welcome when you come, maybe you are also indicating that you might join us for the AC/DC in Australia.

cheers,

Jayant C Varma

@Ignis - Adelaide is a very nice place to live. It isn't as "bustling" as Sydney or Melbourne (I've lived in all three) and the cost of living is lower. It's also cleaner. (No offense, anyone.)

That said, all of Australia is pretty nice - it's a good place to live :)

@Carlos - DAMN STEREOTYPING. MOAR CAPZ. MUST EXPRESS RAGE. (I'm kidding of course but if you try to barbecue a shrimp you might drive off those bikini clad women with your lack of regard for good food preparation :P - we wouldn't want that.)

It's hot today >:(

I am in Sydney and would love to have a conference here on Corona. In the absence of a conference perhaps we could still have a get together of some sort, if there are enough users in Sydney or another city.

Getting very close to getting a license. Just need to finish what I am working on to show the boss and get the approval for a license. Very soon.

Sorry, guys, Carlos, the Shrimp has burned on the Barbie... waiting for the priorities at Ansca to settle into place. I guess we shall look at this for end of year or next year.

Incredibly disappointing but these things happen; I hope in the near future something could be pulled together.

Carlos, if you're still going to be around here at some stage I do hope we will still be able to catch up. (No "Aussie" lingo, though!)

Yes Peach, it is disappointing, the Angels are to be blamed in this case, specially the ones with the PhD's, the ones that are the Dr.'s

It happens and hope that Carlos can manage to pull something together to arrange it some other time.

BTW. Congrats on being a Staff Member of Ansca, that was nice.

cheers.

?:)

Perhaps before long we'll have a lot more Australian developers; I hope so. Corona is awesome ^-^; - Then a conference would, I imagine, be much easier to arrange.

Thanks for the congrats; I really feel like I am thriving now that I've found Corona.

views:2005 update:2011/9/20 17:36:54
corona forums © 2003-2011